Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wintering an indoor VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wintering an indoor VFT

I know that the biggest problem with growing a VFT indoors is the dormancy period, or lack thereof, and I am trying to figure out a way to do it successfully, so I figured I'd run something past the experts here. How do you think it would work if I put the plants next to a window and cracked the window? I live in Minnesota so it gets pretty cold here and hopefully with the window just barely open the cold would come in a little. I can monitor the temperature of the plants with a thermometer to make sure they get into the proper range. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you growing on a windowsill or under artificial lights? Another element of dormancy you need to consider is light since the decrease in photoperiod also lets the plant know that it's time to sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...why dont you grow them outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could do it but you will have to leave your window cracked all winter...not sure if you realy want to do that!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on a windowsill, but it doesn't get much light there so I have it under some artificial lights as well. I have been decreasing the photoperiod to match sunup and sundown. Will this satisfy the photoperiod requirements?

I can't grow them outside because I live in a garden level apartment in an urban area. They would be between buildings so they wouldn't get much light and I'm a little worried about someone messing with them.

I don't have much of a problem keeping the window cracked for the winter. I have the radiator pipes running through my apartment so it gets rather warm. I usually keep a window cracked anyway just to cool off the place.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an attic with a window. I used to keep mine right at a window sill for the winter and let the natural photoperiod and coldness dictate when it wakes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My VFT is on a windowsill that only gets direct sunlight from about 2-7 PM :/ I have a little Flourescent light that's providing supplemental light but I can tell it's mostly insufficient because the new traps that have just opened have very wide petioles, that and they're all twisty from me turning the pot around, so being indoors is definitely not ideal.

I'm new to the scene as well, So my advice is somewhat limited, but the temp in this room stays generally pretty cool at around 60-70 degrees if i can help it, and the wind blows right at the window my VFT is on so when the time comes it'll probably get downright frigid within the proximity of the window. So I'm hoping This will be enough to get it to go into dormancy but I suppose I'll see. If Halloween rolls around and it's still growing now traps(like it is now) Then I may try moving it outside to speed things up, but I'm making sure that I keep the photoperiod well-regulated, only turning the light off/on about an hour before/after sunset/sunrise, putting some shade up if i have the room light on at night, etc.

So from one noob to another, I share with you my paranoia from generally sucking at growing plants. If you happen to notice anything odd or otherwise good to do, we should keep each other informed

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Botanicadenta View Post
    My VFT is on a windowsill that only gets direct sunlight from about 2-7 PM :/ I have a little Flourescent light that's providing supplemental light but I can tell it's mostly insufficient because the new traps that have just opened have very wide petioles, that and they're all twisty from me turning the pot around, so being indoors is definitely not ideal.

I'm new to the scene as well, So my advice is somewhat limited, but the temp in this room stays generally pretty cool at around 60-70 degrees if i can help it, and the wind blows right at the window my VFT is on so when the time comes it'll probably get downright frigid within the proximity of the window. So I'm hoping This will be enough to get it to go into dormancy but I suppose I'll see. If Halloween rolls around and it's still growing now traps(like it is now) Then I may try moving it outside to speed things up, but I'm making sure that I keep the photoperiod well-regulated, only turning the light off/on about an hour before/after sunset/sunrise, putting some shade up if i have the room light on at night, etc.

So from one noob to another, I share with you my paranoia from generally sucking at growing plants. If you happen to notice anything odd or otherwise good to do, we should keep each other informed
    Yours, being in West Texas, should be able to remain outside all year long. his, being in Minnesota, should be outside from spring to fall and kept ~40 F for the winter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast