What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT's and high winds.

So, i took a leap and stuck my VFT outside today. it was warm and sunny and there were tons of bugs out. One of the traps even closed within 30 minutes, but it wasn't a successful catch :(

Now my work room is terribly lonely, I need a cat..

Anyway! My only last concern is what to do when the high winds we get around here return. Should I build some sort of shield for it? It's not anchored very well and the only place that gets much sun is right where all the winds funnel up to my house. Any tips/devices/etc. ?

I don't think winds will do much damage...maybe break a flower stalk. You can do this: take a big tall heavy pot, fill with soil 1/2 or 3/4 and plant your vft in it. Your plant will be protected from the winds by the pot edges...only thing to worry is for the pot not to get knocked over....and if it will flower just put a wood stick for support. How is that?!

sounds good! There's a pottery place near here where I've been meaning to make a Nepenthes shaped pot for a while, it's probably time I did that :D

For what it's worth, I've taken my VFTs for rides in the back of my friend's truck and got up to 50mph with no ill effects. Granted, they're only exposed to those kinds of conditions for 1/2 an hour tops, and not too often, but I think you'll be OK. If you have some other outdoor plants, you might try crowding them around your VFT pot to shelter it a little. Or you could try keeping it next to a pot full of grass or something similar.
~Joe

The winds where I live here in Boulder, CO can be quite severe at times. As far as I can tell, there really isn't anything to worry about with VFTs and wind. I think this is because they grow so low to the ground that they aren't affected much by the wind.

Back