What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light

I bought a Philips 42w Marathon compact fluorescent bulb for my seedlings and cuttings. It is about an inch above the media. It's marked at 2600 lumens. I know this is not ideal, but will it be enough?

Because of space issues, I have room for just one bulb currently. Is there a better single bulb I could get? Anyone have a similar setup? The light also seems too yellow...

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Is there a reason you're keeping it inside? If you have to I'd suggest putting it on a windowsill and use the light as a supplement to natural sunlight.

I have to say I'm a convert, everyone here will tell you to put it outside as long as it's not iced over. I've had my VFT outside for 4 days and the difference is dramatic. I'm getting beautiful red colorings in the trap and the growth of new traps has nearly doubled.

....the best light you can get is the sun, you live a little north of where i do, so your temps arent much different...you can grow VFTs outside all year no problem...they need their dormancy anyway....you can skip a seedlings first dormancy and grow em inside, an inch is a little too close for the plants....id move em up atleast 3 inches if you have to grow inside.....imo, once spring rolls around, they should be placed straight outside.

Ive noticed that Philips bulbs are outright crappy bulbs i always use GE better quality and better light output.. I agree with SirKristoff if its a very very young plant or seedling deffinately grow it right thru winter, skip dormancy and make sure the light is a few inches above the VFT. Most of my bigger VFTs are already preparing for dormancy due to where i live but my youngest or seedlings will stay under lights growing thruout the winter months.

hmm if u try for leaf cutting i suggest u should let the sunlight do the work and its a lot cheaper just keep the soggy media for the cutting, and use a cover dorm it and make sure theres an 1 inch diameter hole on the cover, the carry out food container is what i m using, put it on somewhere that can receive direct morning light, evening light and defused noon light, avoid direct summer noon light, my cutting grow pretty healthy but u have to acclaimate it to low humidity later on when u get it out of the soggy dormed media,, u might experience burnt leaf but thats normal it will grow healthy leafs after just a month, happy growing

It gets dreary quite quickly where I live this time of year. There is hardly any sun to speak of. Plus, I want to watch some stuff grow while the outside plants are dormant.

I bought a 14000K blue grow light (it was pricey: $95 CDN). But, wow, what a difference! I've hung aluminum all around and above it. I think this will do for the winter. It's called "Spectrum" and it's made by Hygrow Technologies (hygrow.net). It says "ultra blue for extreme growth".

Anyone use one of these?

Adam

Back