What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf pulling question

i have a flytrap thats been outside most of the summer. its really taken off recently and now i think is about to go into dormancy (new leaves like crazy, traps get bigger each time and the petiole gets shorter). since i live in GA i plan to let it stay outside this winter. when is the best time to try a leaf pull propagation? could i pull one now, grow it under lights indoors, and have it ready to go outside next spring?

Yes, if you want to you could take a leaf pulling right now. If your plant is healthy, this shouldn't hurt it.

However, you will have to uproot the plant to get a pulling, and in general, it isn't a good idea to disturb the plant's roots as it is going into dormancy because there's a chance that it won't grow them back enough to get re-established before going dormant.

However, from my experience repotting (and I've done it at various times throughout the year), if the plant is healthy, it really doesn't affect it much.

I too am tempted to take some pullings this fall and start them in my terrarium now to have them ready to put outside in the springtime, but I think I will wait until mid February just as the plants start coming out of dormancy. Starting them in February will give them a few months of time in the terrarium to get going before putting them outside.

LOL! You can take the wishbone approach and tug on two leaves from opposite sides, at the same time. The weaker of the two separates and voila.. there's your leaf pulling. You can also put your finger down on the crown of the plant and pull a leaf. You want to get as much of the white part (basal) as possible. I place the white part in live LFS and have under lights. The leaf dies but there's life where it counts and in a few weeks or so (heavy on the or so), you get a cluster of baby plants.

Picture185.jpg

Picture166.jpg

I take leaf pullings whenever the mood strikes me. I gently pull the leaf down and away from the center of the plant and if it tries to pull the plant out of the soil, I hold the plant down while pulling the leaf.

I take leaf pullings whenever the mood strikes me. I gently pull the leaf down and away from the center of the plant and if it tries to pull the plant out of the soil, I hold the plant down while pulling the leaf.
Cool idea! I guess you don't have much trouble in doing this and you get enough of the rhizome that your pullings take? It seems like it could be a bit risky and like you might not get enough of the rhizome, but then I guess there isn't too much that could go wrong. I might have to give this a try soon.

Back