Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of photos from this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your colors. My 'Big Mouth' colors up easily, but all my other VFT's didn't get much color this year, despite 10+ hours of sun in the summer. Maybe next year.

Mine catch only hornets. That's all I ever see in them! Must be nest nearby or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    Very nice pictures Most bugs my traps eat are flys, and wasps every so often I'd find a earwig, and one time a butterfly it was dead when I saw it so I couldn't help it..

Good pictures there I'll be sure to check out your blog more often and very cute VFT seedlings mine are so tiny. =)
    Thanks a lot! I hope that you check out the blog and also post on the forum. If you join the forum you get an account on the main site too, and you can blog about your plants as well. There are a few active members there now, and is growing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    i see a sundew in your VFT pot.
    Hah, yeah, I had an accident with some D. intermedia seed. I dumped over the little pot I had it in. Then I picked up the soil and stuff and I guess I got some seed on my hands and then touched my VFTs because I got about 15 D. intermedia growing in with my VFTs.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Love your colors. My 'Big Mouth' colors up easily, but all my other VFT's didn't get much color this year, despite 10+ hours of sun in the summer. Maybe next year.

Mine catch only hornets. That's all I ever see in them! Must be nest nearby or something.
    I too have a 'Big Mouth' that got good coloration this year, but many of my typicals had better colors and bigger traps.

That's cool that your plants are hornet killers. I love seeing wasps (or are those hornets) in the traps when they reopen after digesting. Makes me wonder how many they would catch if all of my plants had traps large enough to catch them. There are only a few plants that have traps large enough to catch a 1.5 inch wasp!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. Gotta give a shout out to a fellow Coloradoan! I've noticed the same trend in prey capture with my VFTs throught the summer: a progression from earwigs to craneflies to small wasps to lastly blue flies and grey striped flies. Most of my Sarrs filled up on migrating Miller Moths in the past few weeks. Thanks again for posting the great pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always have bad wasp problems mid-summer till fall. My plan is to get a carpet of VFTs growing to take care of a good number of them. A lot of times, they are scouting for nesting sites. I'm tempted to make a back drop from some cardboard with a hole in it so they come in to investigate and in the process get to "visit" the plants around it.

BTW, I've partially covered the seeds with plastic wrap. I left a bit of a gap on one side so there is some air circulation. Maybe that'll get the seeds to start....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdskr View Post
    Great pics. Gotta give a shout out to a fellow Coloradoan!
    Thanks! Where in Colorado are you, spdskr? I too have noticed the feasting on Miller moths by my sarrs recently!

Quote Originally Posted by adymitruk View Post
    BTW, I've partially covered the seeds with plastic wrap. I left a bit of a gap on one side so there is some air circulation. Maybe that'll get the seeds to start....
    That sounds like it should help. Just be careful of mold or fungus. Keep an eye out for it so that it doesn't get a foothold in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12