Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CP's, need advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFSM is long fibered sphagnum moss.

When you get your new plants, they should be already going into dormancy. If not, they will once you put them somewhere that they'll get natural sunlight (which you should do).

If you grow your plants outside (which you should also do), you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as letting your Venus Fly Trap flower. It will definitely slow down its growth, but it shouldn't kill it unless your plant is already ill.

As others have stated there are many ways to propagate your Venus Fly Trap other than collecting seed. You can read about all of the ways on my website here:
    Venus Fly Trap Propagation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, one more question. I got some pots and moss in anticipation of repotting the plants once they arrive and are acclimated to their new home. I was planning on using a 50/50 blend of sphagnum moss and perlite. I'm a bit wary of the perlite that I purchased because it says it is "enriched with miracle-gro plant food" and I know the VFT's don't like chemicals and fertilizer. Should I be ok with this, or shop around for another type of perlite? I'm not even entirely sure what perlite IS so if it all contains plant food, please excuse my newbness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't. Stay away from Miracle-Gro. Did you get sphagnum moss or peat moss? Either one is fine, but just wondering. Make sure they don't have a trace of fertilizer.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Miracle-Gro perlite will kill your plants. If you can't find any perlite that isn't Miracle-Gro, you can just plant them in pure peat moss. I've been using mostly pure peat moss lately, or peat moss with just a bit of perlite mixed in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got sphagnum moss, I went to 3 different places, and the only peat I could find was in small tablet form. The miracle-gro perlite was also the only perlite I could find.

So... should I just plant them in the sphagnum moss, and not worry about the perlite until I repot them next spring? Or is this not ideal? I will order in some perlite and peat if that's what's necessary to ensure their well-being...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd plant them in pure peat if you don't have perlite, with a sphagnum top-dressing if you so desire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to worry about the perlite, but I would recommend that you find some peat moss. You should be able to find it at virtually any hardware store or nursery.

If you don't have any luck finding it, they should be ok in the sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants showed up this morning They don't look great, but they're alive, and not yet dormant. The medium they are in appears to be peat / perlite, so I think I'm going to let them go dormant as-is and repot in the spring. I'm just going to order some mix online, as I've been to numerous big name home centers and hardware stores, and everything they sell is "enriched" or "fortified" with some type of food or fertilizer. I told an employee at one of the stores what I was looking for, and he recommended that I plant my VFT in normal potting soil!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast