What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Flytrap roots

How long does it take for a Flytrap (after germinating from seeds) to form roots?

Also does the plant change/lose colour when it starts to grow roots

Thanks

As far as I can tell (they are so small, you really can't see), they start putting down a root as soon as they germinate. I think this is the case because they don't move when top watered, so they have to have something anchoring them to the peat moss.

I don't think that there is any color change when they start growing roots. When they first germinate, they have 2 "leaves" and these are the only leaves they will ever form without traps. Soon after those 2 leaves spread open, the itty bitty traps start growing. In my experience, the leaves are always green, but the traps can be anything between red and green.

The first part to emerge from a seed is the radicle - an embryonic root. So seeds develop roots as soon as they germinate.

Back