What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytraps for the tropics

Hi

I am new to CP and is interested to start on VFT.

Q1:
Is there a species that thrive in Asia? I live in Singapore where humidity is high and lots of sun and no winter.
I heard that there is this 'dormancy' period of VFT; there is no winter here and I do not want to use the fridge.

Q2:
What is the lifespan of VFT?

The rest of my questions I probably search thru the forum.

Thanks!

Hello LiveRock,

A1: I just asked a person on my forum from Singapore what he does for dormancy and he actually alternates between a "shady" dormancy one year and a "cold" dormancy the next year (via the fridge). You can see his answer here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132#p669

A2: They can live forever! Well, not the same exact plant, but because of the way they divide, the divisions can propagate the genetics of the plant forever. The oldest VFT I know of (I'm sure that there are older) in existence is the 1955 clone from Robert Ziemer. See the first photo in my blog post here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-blog/The-last-hurrah-.html

Matt

So how long's a single plant live?

So how long's a single plant live?
It is hard to describe a "single plant". After one of my plants sent up a flower stalk and produced seed, it had not produced a new leaf for 2 months. It did have an off-shoot earlier that year. That off-shoot is now bigger than what the original plant is growing... so I guess the old plant is young again, judging by the size of the leaves.

Also, by this time, the off-shoot has had about 10 of it's own off-shoots.

The best way to propagate VFTs is to give them the environment they thrive in and watch them divide! I have 10 plants from a single one in 1 year!

I believe BobZ has a Venus Flytrap that he has been growing since 1955. I think Bugweed had one 40+ years also.

Back