Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project - VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Project - VFT

Hello All

I am new to this forum, so it would be nice to have some options...

I have a VFT my uncle tried to keep one when I was very young but it did not live very long...

Now I understand that about the watering from the bottom however if they get too wet on the top will they die ? there is a valid reason why I ask this as I would like to keep a VFT in a terrarium, as you see them shipped with a plastic cover.

So here is the plan

Glass container below

The top will be support with a 3mm gap around the top for air flow

The bottom will have a small pebble like stones to show the water level

On top will be the peat based mixture.

But I am unsure as to the watering if it has to be watered on the bottom only then I was going to supply a glass tube feed direct to the bottom. to avoid watering from the top, but then will it die if it gets to wet, if the glass drips this is my thought.

Only other problem would be that it could not be put outside due to the ice expanding and breaking the glass...

So can I have some thoughts on this idea please

Many thanks Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, it would help to know where you are from. What I recommend (and so would everyone else) is that you use 50/50 peat and perlite, no fertilizer. Grow outside in full sun, no...egg thingy or anything, just in a regular, plastic pot with drainage holes. Keep a tray under it and fill it with distilled/rain/or OR water. Do NOT use regular tap water and such. Give it dormancy in winter (Make sure it doesn't freeze, just light frost here and there). And that's that. You can water overhead if you want, doesn't matter, mine are soaking wet, heck, my little one gets SUBMERGED in water, and it's fine. Good luck with it!

Anyone, please correct me.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEy Noddy,
    welcome to the forum!

yes, Capensis has it right..
    the "egg" is a bad idea..lose the egg.

VFTs do best:

outdoors.
    in full sun.
    sitting merely in a tray of rain, distilled or RO water.
    no cover.
    need a mild winter dormancy.."mild" meaning 35-50 degrees F for three months every winter.

VFTs do very poorly indoors..they should not be considered "houseplants"..
    they are not tropical.

Where do you live?
    your local climate will have a huge bearing on the methods you can use to grow CPs..especially in the winter.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    HEy Noddy,
    welcome to the forum!

yes, Capensis has it right..
    the "egg" is a bad idea..lose the egg.

VFTs do best:

outdoors.
    in full sun.
    sitting merely in a tray of rain, distilled or RO water.
    no cover.
    need a mild winter dormancy.."mild" meaning 35-50 degrees F for three months every winter.

VFTs do very poorly indoors..they should not be considered "houseplants"..
    they are not tropical.

Where do you live?
    your local climate will have a huge bearing on the methods you can use to grow CPs..especially in the winter.

Scot
    I also agree, with them, i can help a little with overwintering if necessary, as ive overwintered them here in zone 6(NY),

Keep it in the peaterlite mix, always moist, water level does not exceed 1/2-3/4 of the pot, say half to be on the safe side, ive never had it that way, but if you dont get rain that often you might want it that high. Full sun to get best results

depending on your source of the plant i might suggest skipping dormancy for the first year, doesn't mean skip it every year but the plant might not be healthy enough if you got it from a source where the plants werent properly grown. I also lost any seedling vfts in dormancy most likely due to the covering of mulch, and the squirrels..., but hopefully this year i can skip the mulch as i have a greenhouse that should be able to keep temps just above freezing. So plants from wall-mart lowes homedepot, etc, you might want to skip dormancy if the plant doesn't seem to be healthy enough to survive a winter. the bulb should be cream-white in color and right now should be slowing down or has completely stoped growing new leaves, if you live in colder climates, im not that sure on the health of the plants at those stores sometimes there good sometimes bad, i think next year if i have the money ill buy them up and bring them back up to health, sadly the so called 'death cubes' ive seen dead sundews/vfts/pitcherplants still up for sale at original price possibly marked down, in the houseplant section, in the middle of winter, or they are almost dead...

so i can help if you need some advice on overwintering, or indoor care, by my estimated guess as ive only grown tropicals indoors.

dustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    outside in full sun for the whole year(unless your winter is super cold) water from top or bottom, it doesnt matter, NO fertilizer. no need for the little egg thing, the VFT could be started in the egg thing, but it wont live long in it.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all...

I am from the UK, in the south east in a little town call Caterham where the Sports Car Caterham 7 comes from...

I was on the understanding that I could grow the tropical (lead to believed tropical plant in doors) I though that would be fine I am supprised that many people keep them outside.

The Egg idea was to create an exotic plant indoors that's pleasing to the eye...

As my thoughts was well if they will live in warm and cold climates, then the only thing that could cause a problem would be air flow.

Is there another type I could keep that's small, problem I have is I don't own a garden so though at the moment it could go in a green house for now, uncles plant is not so healthy as mine, and his is on the window ledge as is mine, whould it help if you had a photo of the plants to determine there strength!

Many thanks Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't tropical Plus, it would just be better to find a spot outside (if you have a backyard or porch and such) instead of a greenhouse. Yes, there are many different varieties, but not species, so they all live the same and there really isn't one that's "smaller." If you don't have anywhere to put it outside, then Idk...
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apart from VFT is there any other CP that you would advise I can bottle up ;-)

Many thanks Noddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast