What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea journal: FLowering to seed

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Its been a while since I posted anything about my flytraps.

But something prominent has happened:

If some of you guys remember, I started some VFTs from seed 2 yrs ago in october of 2006.

Here are the start of those seedlings. THis pic was on december 12 2006. The picture beside it on the right is the same seedlings on december 11 2007. Almost exactly an year later. The one that is flowering has been strong even then: Notice the seedling at the top right...most colorful and biggest.

3040432228_bf96682539.jpg
2102854790_89026c9480.jpg

Well....one of those seedlings turned out to be the strongest and as you can see....it has flowered already. I think its pretty fast for a VFT from seed. Seed to maturity in a little less than 2 yrs.

3039580685_4635b1d9e1.jpg
3039580855_373ffa0539.jpg
3040420060_4274210c88.jpg

I will try self pollinating it and try to document its development all the way to seed pod and seeds. ;)

cheers,

V

ill trade you something for the fast growing vft seed. :]

Wow!

I'm lucky just to get 2 to germinate out of 60 seeds. I did bake them I think...

Hopefully I can get where you are in the same time with the 2 that I have...

Don't worry. As long as the seedlings have good light (same as adults) and water, u can just ignore them and within 1 to 2 yrs they will become very nice plants. I still find the seedlings at the end of yr1 very cute. They form neat nice perfect rosettes.

you growing that outdoor?

It looks great! That's a neat pot...VFTs seedlings, Sarr seedlings, and pygmies.

I hope my Sarr seedlings grow that fast...even though it'll still take a few years to flower after 2 years :p

thanks! yeah! that tupperware tub which was like 5 inches in diameter was probably the best pot with media I ever had. Even at the very end...the peat moss smelled very very fresh as if I just mixed it. The plants had a blast inspite of the pesky moss. :p My plants all grow indoors under lights. These seedlings bTW haven't been through dormancy. I was planning on putting them all in dormancy this year...but I guess this pot is going to be waiting for a while as I now want this plant to set seed.

But my other vft pots, cobra, sarr seedlings will all go into dormancy in a week from now. I am just waiting to buy some mulch to put the plants in my balcony and insulate them by putting pine or cedar mulch.

Thanks for sharing this epic story. Two years is quite fast for a VFT to go from seed to flowering. Nice job raising it!

If you get any divisions from that plant, please keep me in mind for a trade!

Yes! I will try to make divisions or pullings from the plant as it surely is a very vigorous individual. Also, the seed should be interesting. Theoretically all should be exactly same...but even self pollination leaves open the possibility for mutations.

I've got a similar thing going with 'Fang' seedlings. This is a picture from October:

DSCF1738.jpg

DSCF1741.jpg

There's a variety of temperates in here. Last week I split them into 3 real pots, with the D. regia getting a pot of its own. I hope to borrow a camera soon and post an updated photo.

Update: Few flowers already dessicated. Here's hoping that some of them were fertilized.

3071644021_61d0459d35_o.jpg

3071643567_4506da0ace_o.jpg

Nice pics vraev. This is a great thread - very inspiring.
~Joe

Back