What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT with the SMALLEST traps?

So, an odd question here. There was a thread about the biggest traps not too terribly long ago (the answer of which seems to be a B52 or B52-hybrid)... but are there any VFT cultivars that have really SMALL traps?

I had a weird dream a while back of a Carnivorous Plant Bonsai or Saikei setup. Kinda a micro-miniature bog landscape in a pot. Of course, this isn't really viable given the difficulty of growing CPs, but a Mini Bog in a wine barrel planter or whatnot should work just as well, and is my current goal for that kinda thing.

But still, I am kinda interested in seeing if there are any VFTs cultivars that don't follow the "bigger is better" theme. :)

The 2 that I've grown are Bart Simpson (aka Wacky Traps) & Bob Z's Petite Dragon. Both seem to stay quite small - one because it's a deformed, non-vigorous mutant and the other because it stays small.....???

I'm not positive, but I think clamshell/cupped traps varieties stay rather small.

Yes, cupped traps and Bart Simpson are relatively small plants, but there are a few different pygmy clones out there.

One was already mentioned and that's Bob Z's Petite Dragon. It stays pretty small. There is another plant that is just called a VFT pygmy or Neotenic Pygmy. It looks like a seedling, but is actually full grown:
VFTPygmy5888.jpg

D._Typ_Pygmy_-_2007-05-19_-_01_SMALL.JPG

I think there are a few clones of typical pygmies floating around. HugoMorse on the CPUK forum grows a lot of them:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21708

Also, there's Cudo:
cudo-ete-2006.jpg

I think the full grown Cudo is only about 3cm (a little over an inch) across.

Cute. Do they produce flowers and viable seed? I would like to find some seed if they did!

I know that the Neotonic produces flowers, but I'm not sure about the viability of the seed. In the photos of the flowers I've seen, the flowers look normal so I'd guess that they do produce viable seed. I'm not sure about the Cudo.

However, seeds produce genetically unique individual plants. I'm not sure if the "small" or "pygmy" gene would be easily inherited, but in all likelihood, the majority of the plants produced from seed from either of these plants will result in typical VFTs. Perhaps the "small" gene is dominant though...in which case the majority of the plants would be tiny VFTs.

That cudo is soooo cute!! it's tiny and adorable I love it!

Whodaz

My Clayton's Red Sunset has very small traps but they are gorgeous

I never heard or saw 'Cudo'. That's cute. :) Any idea if anyone is distributing this cultivar?

I've found 'Pink Venus' to be pretty small in practice - possibly smaller than Bob Z's plant... I'd go look but the snow hasn't melted yet. :D
~Joe

My 'Petite Dragon' is not close to being the smallest VFT. I only registered it as a cultivar because it is a much smaller plant than 'Red Dragon' and has a bifurcated scape.

There are several truly pygmy VFTs. Check my Photo Finder for
“Clone B 09 (BCP)”
“Cudo”
“DM14/1”
“Dwarf”
“Pygmy VFT”
“Red Pygmy”
“SL020”
“SL023”

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

The link is bad, says it can't find the server.

I look forward to seeing them though.

That was weird! I wonder how many years that the code has been messed-up. The Photo Finder link is now fixed.

Thanks. That site has links to more photos than I have ever seen. Thank you. :D

By the way. Some of those are nearly microscopic.

I need to get me a 'Cudo', yep its going on the list! Anyone know a source for these guys?

Back