What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy questions

I live in central Texas where winters give temps ranging from 20s on the colder days and the 40s and 50s on average. Last night it got near freezing and today it will get near 70. I'm overwintering my plants outside and providing protection on the coldest nights. Since they get good air circulation and natural light would i need to apply fungicide as a preventative measure or just apply it if the plants show signs of fungus? Also, would it seem like im on the right track for a successful dormancy from the given information above? My plants have TONS of little traps and the larger ones are dieing off... but now with the little traps it seems to be about twice(or more) the total diameter and half the height as a month ago with the big traps. In addition, all summer the traps got lots of texas sun but stayed green but now that its getting colder the older traps are turning red inside and begin dying off a week or two later. Are the size and color changes part of their normal cycle or is there something i'm missing? Thanks.

I think you're doing things correctly and a fungicide wouldn't be necessary. As to color, I'll let the others comment. Welcome to TF!

I wouldnt worry about them..everything is probably perfectly fine..

just leaving them outside all winter, as you are doing, is the best thing to do..
you are in the same zone as the native range of VFTs and most Sarracenia..
it might be warm enough that they are still growing and changing a bit during the winter..which is normal, and could account for any changes seen during the winter months..

based on your description, they sound fine to me..
just leave them alone, and normal growth should resume in the spring..

if the plants/pots are "open to the air"..which it sounds like they are, fungicide will probably be unnecessary..

Scot

I have a lowes rescue that i have had since the beginning of summer in 2008. I just got a Akai Ryu from flytrapshop.com that i have had for about a week. The last couple days were in the 70s and sunny and over a 24 hour period it has dropped to the 30s and 40s and is overcast/rainy. To help with the temperature fluctuation(the next few days are forcast to have 40 degree difference between high/low) i filled the bottom of the tank with moss to help insulate. The Typical looks the same as it has all winter but the Akai Ryu has suddenly closed all its traps and doesnt look like its doing very well.

Should I leave the Akai Ryu alone and assume its shock and will get over it or move it to a warmer place(under light inside) until the weather can decide if its hot or cold? Shouldn't it be able to handle the same conditions as the other species?

Last week after almost a week in its new home and just removed humidity dome that was in place from shipping. It perked up a bit and began growing a new trap(in addition to what is shown in photo) after opening its dome.
Fall2008025.jpg

today. photo of both to compare how they are taking the weather.
January2009004.jpg

January2009005.jpg

I have a lowes rescue that i have had since the beginning of summer in 2008. I just got a Akai Ryu from flytrapshop.com that i have had for about a week. The last couple days were in the 70s and sunny and over a 24 hour period it has dropped to the 30s and 40s and is overcast/rainy. To help with the temperature fluctuation(the next few days are forcast to have 40 degree difference between high/low) i filled the bottom of the tank with moss to help insulate. The Typical looks the same as it has all winter but the Akai Ryu has suddenly closed all its traps and doesnt look like its doing very well.

I purchased a couple of Akai Ryu from Andrew's shop last year. These plants come from his greenhouse, and will show shock symptoms when exposed to the outdoors. No need to worry, mine grew strong and healthy once they broke domancy, and I'm sure yours will also.

Hello- Your plant is seeing pretty much what it was seeing in my greenhouse (minus the super lows) Being in the desert here, I have those high fluctuated temps to deal with every day, right now the greenhouse is seeing about 85f days and 50-55f nights (heated). the 'Akai Ryu's though are in a cooler part of the g/h so they may be seeing a little bit cooler at night. I agree with what Duane said above- overall the plant looks good, and with all that new growth it seems it is already adapting. :bigthumpup:
Thanks for your support.
Andrew

Back