Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VFTs after dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people manage to do it and try to find out what they do. There are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong when growing any kind of plant indoors and those requiring dormancy can be especially tricky. Since my VFTs & Sarrs stay outdoors, I have no suggestions for how to keep dormant plants alive in the fridge.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. It looks like right now I just have to wait a couple weeks to see if they bounce back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rhizome is the important part, should be white in the inside, dont throw it out just yet! If you need another one PM me i may have a few extras.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if not for Scot, I would have probably killed my venus flytraps. I grow all of them indoors, but respect dormancy. Prior to putting them in the fridge, they went outside for about 2 months straight to experience a drop in temperature and photoperiod. When they were in the fridge I monitored them closely. Out of about 8 flytraps I have 0 casualties.

They CAN be grown indoors, but very, very special care must be taken to ensure they stay healthy. Of course the best environment is outside. But I can't help but smile when I have a B52 cultivar yawning with huge traps under good T5 lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread and I dont mean to Bump it since its pretty done and over already,

but ISU shoot me a PM if you'd like to know how I went about doing my vft's indoors all year round with no outside priming for dormancy, and so far I've managed for 2 winteres now to never lose a vft while in dormancy, and I used a minifridge for mine.

the real key though is if your going to do a fridge dormancy you have to air yourself on the drier side, fridges are really stagnant and its easy to lose it to rot.

its definitely doable to grow vft's inside all year round where its impossible to grow outside.

yes outside is ideal, but sometimes you gotta try some expirementation, and i've managed to have happy vft's with my approach both inside and outside

just shoot me a PM
    Thanks,
    Chris-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isu712 View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of what their flytraps looked like after they came out of dormancy? I pulled mine out of the fridge yesterday and they don't look like they were doing so hot.
    I am not quite sure why refrigeration is so popular with Dionaea outside of the tropics. I usually leave my plants in their pots and place them in a cool spot -- a garage -- throughout the winter . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its certainly not ideal. this winter I was able to use a cold basement. but fridges can be done if you really really have no other option...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I am not quite sure why refrigeration is so popular with Dionaea outside of the tropics. I usually leave my plants in their pots and place them in a cool spot -- a garage -- throughout the winter . . .
    many people dont have a "cool spot"..
    I used the fridge for 10 years..because I had no garage, or basement, or unheated room..
    living in a one bedroom apartment, options were limited..

the fridge works fine if its your only option.

Scot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123