Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: waking up the VFTs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd shelter them too. Bring them in until this storm passes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty! Will do! At least they have a couple more days of pure sun before they have to come it

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know... I did that last year with my Sarracenias. They had flower scapes and when I brough them in the scapes reacted and withered. In my opinion, if the temps aren't going to get too much below freezing, you're better off leaving them outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I ended up bringing them in....probably a good thing, my balcony has two feet of snow on it. I have them sitting right at the door so they are still getting part of the "weather" just not the precipitation. So far they look alright. A squirrel completely demolished one of my traps, not sure if it was going to come back....but now its completely gone..vanished...kaput. *rolling eyes*sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, similar here. We have 14 inches of snow here in Boulder. I've kept my plants indoors the last few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget, my fellow Coloradoans, that we are not safe from frosts until the middle of May....or some years later. My mini-bogs are back in the garage. Looking at next week's forecast, I'm not sure how much time they are going to spend outside.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll need another few weeks before the overnight lows won't be too cold. But once you bring them outside, it's best to keep them outside.

I've had my VFT's gnawed to the surface (as well as uprooted and tossed aside). The ones that were gnawed to the media did recover a few weeks later. It's like a "Samson Effect".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdskr View Post
    Don't forget, my fellow Coloradoans, that we are not safe from frosts until the middle of May....or some years later. My mini-bogs are back in the garage. Looking at next week's forecast, I'm not sure how much time they are going to spend outside.
    Yep, for sure. Usually I take my plants outside sometime in the middle of April or late April once the chance of freezing has passed, but the chance of frost is still there for another month. If there is a chance of frost, I usually cover them with a tarp at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I think you'll need another few weeks before the overnight lows won't be too cold. But once you bring them outside, it's best to keep them outside.
    It's true that once they are outside, it's best to leave them out there, but it's better to bring them inside than letting them freeze solid outside as would have happened here the last few days.

I've actually not noticed any ill effects of bringing my plants in at night during the questionable spring months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast