Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: waking up the VFTs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waking up the VFTs

The weather is starting to get nice here...i have crocus and tulips coming up, so I thought it would be about time to start waking up the VFTs and Sarr. Am I correct in doing this?

The next week of weather (zone 5, Denver, CO) is day highs of around 50-70 and night lows of 24-38. They wont be outside, rather in next to the patio door. Although I might take them out during the day when im home and let them hang out on the balcony in a shady/partial sun corner.

Thru the plastic wrap, everyone looks good...a little mold looking stuff but they are green! This is my first go at post-dormancy.

gah...I LOVE spring weather!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been sitting mine out on warm days for the past few weeks...it's been such a mild winter here. I noticed last Tuesday that one plant even caught a fly. I was quite surprised that the traps were active. New growth is forming on all my VFTs. I'm even leaving them out at night this week, due to the record warm spell, but will make sure to take them back into the garage on cooler evenings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! A couple fellow Coloradans! I'm up in Boulder and I've had my plants on an unheated porch all winter. They've really starting growing a lot in the last couple of weeks. They were pretty much dormant from the middle of October to the middle of February, but this mild spring-like weather definitely has them perking up.

I too have been putting them outside on these unseasonably warm days. I'd say go for it in terms of waking your plants up. Just shelter them a bit when it freezes.

If either of you guys are interested, I'm trying to form a group of Colorado growers to network with. You can check it out on my site here:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/groups/vi...a+Growers.html

Also, it would be great to have you all on the forum on my site:
    http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3

It's always nice to connect with other growers in your area.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait about another month and keep tabs on the 15 day outlook from Accuweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I decided to go ahead and get em out...well see! Sounds like you guys traps are doing good so far I will definitely shelter them as the weather goes up and down...they are out enjoying the warmth of today though. Beautiful!!

Ill have to check out youre sites, it is nice to be able to contact local growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants will be fine getting them out now. Just be sure to shelter them when the weather gets down to freezing again (which I'm sure it will). A sunny window sill or an unheated porch or garage with good windows would work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been SO nice here, they have all been outside for about 5 days now! Looks like the bigger VFT is starting to put out some traps.

Its suppose to get down to 45h/39L Monday and Tuesday with some rain and snow, should i bring them back in for this or leave them out and shelter them from the snow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd personally bring em in... the snow would really set em back or freak em out this time of year...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast