Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie questions about water, pH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Welcome to TF!! I just wanted to comment on the TDS thing... I'm not sure the amount of TDS really matters in the short term. It's long term that matters! If you are using a 10 tds water (like RO) but you use the tray method, and the pot is somewhere that you need to replenish the water often, the minerals will build up quickly in the pot to an unsafe level... When on the other hand, if you top water witha 75 TDS water.. you are constantly rinsing the extra minerals out the bottom of the pot so the level never builds. So don't only keep in mind the TDS of the water-- but the possibility of build up over time.
    Good luck on your first attempt! It seems you'll probably have no problems

Andrew

So I guess if you were worried about solid buildup in the medium, you could just flush it and measure the runoff, and if it was high, just keep flushing until it's clear?

Or, I suppose one could just avoid all that and make sure to use rain or purified water like everyone says. Heh...

Thanks for the encouragement and the information. Between the people here and the people at the UNCC greenhouse, I seem to have access to a lot of expert help - and healthy plants to get started with.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use RO in my greenhouses... and have some plants that have been on the tray method of watering for years with no indication of problem... The closest thing I do to rinsing the pots out is if I see a lot of algae build up in the tray (which seems to be an indication of high minerals in the water) I'll over water the plants and have the water closer to half or 3/4 up the pots.. let them soak there.. then pull them out and dump the water out and go clean the tray...
    Sometimes though, you'll see a plant declining for "no reason" and you can run water through it and check the run off (as you mention) you'll notice high TDS... at that point you can just tranplant it.. if you're using water that is close to acceptable, this should be a few years down the road and the media probably needs to be changed out anyway

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The college may be able to set you up with the water, whether it be RO, distilled, or deionized. I worked at an environmental laboratory that gave me all the free deionized I wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew -

Thanks, good info again. Now I see why there's so little mention of dissolved solids and pH in all the newbie growing guides. In meeting Dionaea's exacting demands, those measurements can't wander off target very far until the plant has been potted several years. So, I guess most people either kill them off or learn the advanced stuff long before those factors come into play.

Jim -

I think I should be ok on water, but if they'll hook me up I'll be glad to bring the jugs!

Mostly, I'm hoping I can pick the expert brains there, and perhaps get good growing media and healthy plants from them. I think they always have full bog gardens for sale, but I don't know if they sell individual plants and supplies all the time, or just during their big Sale Events. I'd rather support them and avoid buying stressed plants of unknown origins from retail stores or online if possible.

I think I'll go back Tuesday (the sun is supposed to be back out then...), see what's what, and take pictures of their CP room for you guys, as requested. Funny thing, I originally wandered in there to ask them about vermicomposting. Now I see why they have their CP room up front. It sucks you in - no pun intended.

I'll post an update after my next greenhouse visit, and hope to have enough material for a nice photo thread featuring Dr. Mellichamp's babies.

Thanks again... more soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12