What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Collection

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to expand my VFT collection, with some trades and great generosity i've managed to get my hands on some guys that I thought I'd share with you guys...

last year I had a planter outside with my outdoor bogs that had 25 or so VFT's when it just so happened the squirrels decided oh... guess what vft bulbs taste delicious and they didnt just scatter but... ATE the entire planter... it was quite a terrible site to see a herd of squirrels mauling your lovely plants... eitherway... so here I am on the rebound... check out these new guys...

oh they wont stay inside I'm sure ( although doable ) I just need to manufacture a squirrel proof cage :)

photo.jpg

...starting in the VERY back (ignoring the drosera) I have some pots labeled and unlabeled their all Justina Davis divisions I just took along with the traps hanging from the right side of the photo...

now in the front two rows... starting in the back row moving from right to left... you'll see...

"1955" ( Bob Z.'s original typical from 1955 ), Crested Petiole, B52, Petite Dragon, with Red Piranha's on the end,

in the front row from right to left we have... Jaws, Jaws X Petite Dragon, Cup Trap and last but not least Wacky Traps...

-------------------------------------

Now here we have a picture of my Justina Davis before I repotted and divided it up (quarter for reference ) this was taken give or take a week or two ago...

photo2.jpg

and here's an example of why your bigger VFT's should always big in 6'' or larger pots...

photo3.jpg

thats just a division there were roots at the 5'' mark, while my main division had roots well past the 6'' mark

Thanks for looking, I'll throw up better individual shots of the newer VFT's as soon as they get some good strong summer growth :)

-Chris

Wow! Nice collection. Congrats on the 'Wacky Traps'. That's one of the plants near the top of my want list. Where'd you get your hands on it?

that actually was the hardest one to get ahold of believe it or not... and even though I got that one its about... a 1/2'' big at the moment and to my understanding it was the last one this grower had...
if you give me a season I'll try to have a division with your name on it?

I've seen posts that say 'Wacky Traps' is unstable and reverts to typical form. Is this true?

Man, I should repot my plants in square pots, that would really save me space, heh.

yeah I get square pots of ranging sizes, I picked up a pack of 12- 3'' square pots for 1.45 just yesterday down the street ... their pretty thin and light but... work for what I need em for :)

NaN: thats a very good question, I've heard alittle about it, I just recently recieved this wackytraps and havnt had one before. but I will do some research and get back to you on it... that is pretty interesting...

Here's the CP database entry:
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=wacky&submit=Submit+Query&search=all

N: $[Dionaea ' Wacky Traps ' {B.Rice}]
P: Growing Carniv.Pl.:81 (2006)
S: =[Dionaea muscipula {Soland. ex Ellis}]
Nominant: common usage, fide B.Rice
Registrant: B.Rice, 1. 12. 2006
HC: Registered 6. 12. 2006 {JS}
Description: Growing Carniv.Pl.:81 (2006)

"This new cultivar name is for a plant that was originally noticed by Mike Ross during a trip to Cresco Nursery in The Netherlands in 1996. The trap tissue never completely develops, so the leaf lobes have a jagged, incomplete structure. This plant never performs well and is often disliked by some growers, while others delight in its strangeness."

It can't be that unstable if it's been around since 1996.

Looking good, Chris. I wonder, was that "planter" that was eaten the pot I sent you?! lol.

xvart.

NaN: yeah I was looking at some articles and it appears to have been around for quite some time... it does appear like its going to be my most difficult VFT to keep happy, I'm seeing alot of people remarking on how slow it grows and how it can be fairly finicky. and since mine is tiny I'm sure I have my work cut out for me

Xvart: haha no of course not...

that minibog that I got from you had sarrs and I think one lone vft. by the way... talk about cramming a ton of stuff into one tiny 1 gallon pot ! haha you should have seen it at the end of last season...
its crazy looking...

eitherway I actually now that you mention it just repotted that for the first time since its getting nice outside into a much more... comfy container compared to what they were in haha those plants were so close together they were practically sitting on top of one another...

my poor planter was 100% vft's haha... no worries if those squirrles come back this season they'll be sad to see my arrangements for them :) not to mention everyone on TF will have nice squirrel meat care packages from me for SASE if they come back too

I've seen posts that say 'Wacky Traps' is unstable and reverts to typical form. Is this true?
'Wacky Traps' is a very stable form. Perhaps you might be referring to "Pom Pom" which is unstable and has been repeatedly reported to revert to typical form.

Of course, squirrels can make any VFT revert to soil. :-O

yeah I get square pots of ranging sizes, I picked up a pack of 12- 3'' square pots for 1.45 just yesterday down the street ... their pretty thin and light but... work for what I need em for :)

What kinda tray do you have under them?

that actually was the hardest one to get ahold of believe it or not... and even though I got that one its about... a 1/2'' big at the moment and to my understanding it was the last one this grower had...
if you give me a season I'll try to have a division with your name on it?
Wow! Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on that. I have some plants to trade for it and I'll likely have more once I get my tissue culture going full force.

Back