User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Unshaved" Tipitiwitchets coming out of dormancy . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Unshaved" Tipitiwitchets coming out of dormancy . . .

Spring has finally arrived and one tray of Dionaea mucipula cv. B52 is finally showing some early progress in the last few weeks. In February, they were actually submerged for time with the rain, here in Northern California. It certainly bodes well for Summer and Fall when the traps reach their largest size. Currently, the largest are about 3.8 cm (1.5") and there is already the oh, so calming hum of struggling insect prey.

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke in the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the caliber of the company that you have been keeping . . .

"Tipitiwitchets" B52

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing VFTs. I can't grow VFTs, they seem to die on me. Even the one I got last summer seems to be dying, the traps are beginning to look deformed, but it may be because of the flower stalk it's making. Do they enjoy being a bit drier than Sarracenias, or what?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Amazing VFTs. I can't grow VFTs, they seem to die on me. Even the one I got last summer seems to be dying, the traps are beginning to look deformed, but it may be because of the flower stalk it's making. Do they enjoy being a bit drier than Sarracenias, or what?
    Thanks and sorry to hear about the misfortune. . .

I generally keep the plants outside in trays with about an inch or so of water and give them about as much sun as they will tolerate. I have never been that satisfied or successful growing them under lights. They do require less water than Sarracenia in most respects (many growers I know cultivate Sarracenia in undrained pots); and if your traps are appearing "deformed," I would immediately suspect aphids. They can be very tiny -- pinhead size -- and go overlooked until they affect the vegetation; and I would definitely trim the flower stalk if the plant is already under stress.

Give Dionaea lots of sun (more than you think it needs and until the traps and "teeth" turn red), some warmth during the day, plenty of water but not waterlogged, and you'll be fine . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deformed traps likely means some sort of sap sucking pest dining on your plants........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    deformed traps likely means some sort of sap sucking pest dining on your plants........

I certainly know that aphids are capable of that activity and had a nasty bout of them last year . . .

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke and the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the company that you have been keeping . . .
    LOL. I've always thought the same thing!

Very nice plants. Hopefully mine will perk up as nice as these.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking VFTs you have there.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look great, even if they didn't just get up from sleep!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast