User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFT darkness requirements? (light pollution)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpus View Post
    Ok, I'll give it a whirl. If they don't do well I can always move them.

I'm not really worried so much about killing the plants as I am curious about their circadian rhythms. I'm pretty sure the streetlight is bright enough to give them a 24-hour photoperiod; I just don't know if that's a problem for Dionaea, and since you guys seem unconcerned this must not come up as a common problem - or a problem at all.

So let's find out... heh.

Thanks for the fast replies. ;D
    The plant's circannual rhythm depends not only upon the length of day, but also of temperature changes, which contribute to everything from flowering to the onset or end of dormancy. You should be just fine . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its significantly less light than you think it is!

our eyes adjust to light levels..
    indoors at night, with light bulbs burning, it looks just about the same as outdoors in sunlight
    during the day..because our eyes adjust to bright or dim light, "even-ing out" the levels so things always look "normal" to us...but in reality its many many many times darker indoors at night..

For the VFT on the balcony, lacking eyes, daylight in the sun is perhaps hundreds of times brighter than night..even with that streetlight..for the plant, the streetlight is really no light at all.
    it is SOOO incredibly dim (compared to the sun) the plant wont even know its there..

the VFT would need to be about 2 feet under the bulb of the streetlight for it to be a real concern..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streetlight will be wrong colour temperature. Your VFT won't be able to use its light and it will be as if it didn't exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    Streetlight will be wrong colour temperature. Your VFT won't be able to use its light and it will be as if it didn't exist.
    Yes, I was curious about this, too. I know those sodium streetlights run toward the red end of the spectrum, but had no idea how their light fits in with what VFT uses. My concern was that it would be acting like a really wimpy "grow light," giving the plants just enough light to mess them up at night.

I'm glad you're all telling me it doesn't matter, because it saves me a major headache trying to plan spots for my plants to live. Newbie overthinking strikes again.

Thanks to all, as always. I'll try to post a pic of the shelf (and evil light) in action soon.

Edit: Ok, just to show what all the fuss was about, here's a shot out the window taken about 30 minutes ago, just after sunset:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott said pretty much was I was going to. Don't worry 'bout it, it's far to weak to affect your VFT in the slightest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12