Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two small death cube VFTs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two small death cube VFTs

These were rescued from Lowe's yesterday for $4.97 each. They are in two-inch pots.

All of Lowe's CPs come from Botanical Wonders, and these two seem to be planted in the same peat-with-LFS-topping they use as the media for all their deathbox CPs. There were quite a few others, most looking very bad - combinations of stretched, rotten, and obviously dead.

Some idiot had even opened one of the boxes and put a big ball of pocket lint into the traps of one of the plants, no doubt mindboggled when it remained open.

These two were the healthiest of the bunch (or seemed so to my untrained eye). None of the traps look functional anymore; they all seem to be changing to plain leaves, except the small yellowing trap which is closed on nothing visible. Both seem vital to me - especially the larger of the two, which has really big traps - and are putting up (Summer?) leaves.

I pulled off the loose dead leaves from underneath and pushed down the LFS, which is packed very tightly and was threatening to swallow the plants. I have them hardening up, loosely domed under fluorescents for now, to go outside soon. They don't seem to have any bugs (the lone benefit of the airtight death cube?), but there is a slightly... off... smell to the pots. I'm hoping they don't need repotting for awhile.

Observations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They appear to be light-starved as usual, judging by the spindly characteristics of the leaves. My advice would be to soon change the compost to a 1:1 mix of peat moss and horticultural sand, considering its "off" odor and the probability of it being mineral-laden; also, most garden stores will water them with anything on hand, without taking the plants into consideration.

Putting them outside soon would be the best thing for these plants. You won't even recognize them by Summer . . ..
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IS the leaf forming like that; to put out the leaf then to start the trap normal? Mine normally comes out from the crown with the trap bending over from the leaf and is intact. Or is it just the hormones of TC?

Pst. i could have just sent you a vft. :/

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man i saw those little unwanted guy everytime i go to lowes if they were 2,5$ ea imma rescue them all but sigh. they looks like too weak to get sunlight at this moment try to adjust it outdoor slowly

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, considering they came from the neglected, light-starved cubes, they look pretty good. You'll need to get them outside, as has been suggested above, gradually acclimated. Here's one I got this winter:

And the plant lives on after flowering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repotted them out of the cram-packed, smelly LFS into 4-inch pots in 1:1 peat/pool filter sand. The smaller of the two had no roots at all; the bulb seemed healthy enough, about half the size of the tip of a cotton swab, but I'm not going to be surprised if it croaks. The two iffy traps from the first pictures had blackened completely and pulled off with no effort.

The larger plant had three conjoined bulbs. One had no growth coming out of it and was half brown, so I broke it off. Each of the two remaining had a nice long root attached. I'm much more optimistic about this plant. The trap closed during all the jostling, but I didn't see it. I'll start giving them more sunlight now, working them from fluorescents to outside by next week, I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your find.

But those do look light starved. But they'll come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, congrats on your find. They should respond nicely with a little more light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast