Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venus flytrap intensive care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the dying back and no growth was a result of the plant in decline. A VFT in proper dormancy will still grow a Winter rosette. The flowering was probably a response as a last ditch effort.

Personally I would start fresh.. Clean up the remains of the bulb and put in fresh sphagnum peat/sand and keep it damp. Can you get a small light fixture to put a CFL bulb in and suppliment with? A small desk lamp with reflector with a 23w bulb would be enough to at least give a couple plants a much needed boost. Or maybe one of them clip on reflector lamps? As for dormancy I would use the fridge. With the room lights on and off and the wildly fluctuating temperatures next to an open window, the plant will not get the rest it needs.. Maybe if you had a room you could close up and open every window so that it stayed cold for months it would work..
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to home depo and get one of those nice large spiral lights i believe its a 68 watt 4200 lumens and put it under that and hope for the best, i currently have a vft in the house under this light and its looking great so far also the media change sounds like a good idea too

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I suspect the dying back and no growth was a result of the plant in decline. A VFT in proper dormancy will still grow a Winter rosette. The flowering was probably a response as a last ditch effort.

Personally I would start fresh.. Clean up the remains of the bulb and put in fresh sphagnum peat/sand and keep it damp. Can you get a small light fixture to put a CFL bulb in and suppliment with? A small desk lamp with reflector with a 23w bulb would be enough to at least give a couple plants a much needed boost. Or maybe one of them clip on reflector lamps? As for dormancy I would use the fridge. With the room lights on and off and the wildly fluctuating temperatures next to an open window, the plant will not get the rest it needs.. Maybe if you had a room you could close up and open every window so that it stayed cold for months it would work..
    Thanks, I was thinking about a light supplement, could do the trick. Only problem is I'm moving in just a few days so this will most likely be a very stressful time for my poor Dionea.

Oh well, I suppose it was just a Fred Meyers plant. If I lose it then, maybe I will try and get some nice healthy cultivars from a real nursery this spring.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nep Lover View Post
    go to home depo and get one of those nice large spiral lights i believe its a 68 watt 4200 lumens and put it under that and hope for the best, i currently have a vft in the house under this light and its looking great so far also the media change sounds like a good idea too
    I used 3 of the flat back and forth zig zagged tukes last year and it did the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put it in the fridge from November to mid February. That's what I do and it works just fine.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Fred Meyer's VFT.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12