What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lunch . . .

Whole poring over thousands of photos over the last few years -- in my futile efforts to scan decades of slides (anyone yet recall Kodachrome®?) -- I came upon a shot from last November, of a harvestmen struggling in a flytrap leaf. That poor thing was bobbing around for quite a while and it was actually difficult to capture that shot. That leaf survived its meal and trapped again before last winter.

The whole carnivory thing is still freaky to me . . .

Dionaea muscipula "Typical"

DM-1.jpg

haha slidefilm development is awful!

although its still alot of fun to shoot with, I shot a couple rolls just last year...
nothing beats the quality.

haha slidefilm development is awful!

although its still alot of fun to shoot with, I shot a couple rolls just last year...
nothing beats the quality.

Yeah, I agree . . .

It's a bit like arguing the sound quality of vinyl over CDs -- or MP3 files now. There is truly no comparison to slide film; but getting it developed has become a specialty, akin to having your shoes or shirts made for you.

There are still a couple of places in SF in none-too-nice parts of town who still do it -- and don't farm it out to labs in LA . . .

I haven't shot slide film in ages. The small local pro lab I used to go to went out of business around the turn of the millennium.

I can process E6 myself as I have a drum tank and roller but drying it is a pain as I don't have a good low dust environment.

I've not looked for a good dip 'n dunk lab in LA if any still exist. Any leads?

Yes, I think it his hard to beat the image quality and color saturation of slide film. That's why many working pros when given the choice will use slide film.

I haven't shot slide film in ages. The small local pro lab I used to go to went out of business around the turn of the millennium.

I can process E6 myself as I have a drum tank and roller but drying it is a pain as I don't have a good low dust environment.

I've not looked for a good dip 'n dunk lab in LA if any still exist. Any leads?

Yes, I think it his hard to beat the image quality and color saturation of slide film. That's why many working pros when given the choice will use slide film.

Leads?

The best I could offer would be to contact AB Sea Photo off Sepulveda (near LAX), for any current labs that could accommodate slide film. They specialize in underwater photography equipment and have contacts everywhere in the Southland; and there are still a few hold-outs among UW photgraphers who insist on Nikonos IIIs and Kodachrome or Fujichrome.

I recall learning to develop E-6 back in college, and most commercial dive boats could do that for you for next to nothing. The last time I saw a dark room facility on a boat, they were only storing produce there . . .

Back