Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 New VFTs: "Red Pirahna" and "Gold Strike"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha yeah those are the exact trays I was talking about I have a ton of those...

and edax flamma is right, that multifida is very nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I thought it was growing a little slow. =/ The original pot it was in was a little bigger (4" square I think) but the soil was a good 1/4" away from each wall, I'm guessing it got squished a bit.

Since it has some U. bisquamata in it (I ordered from a certain Californian Nursery and apparently it's infamous for U. bisquamata guest plants) I didn't want to repot it, so I just slid the entire thing out of the pot, threw out the bottom half (which stunk of rotting peat moss) and slid it into a 3.5" pot, where it fit perfectly.

Well, mostly perfectly. It doesn't like to drain, the soil with the U. bisquamata in it really repels water, heh. A small hole poked in it with a screwdriver fixed THAT, though.

Back to the topic of VFTs, I might move these guys back in into a 3" pot:

I need to take an updated photo, they've been outside about 3 weeks and haven't grown at all, and are turning black. In late March we had a few nights below freezing, but lately the lowest it's been has been 40F or so. I am worried they're not going to make it. Hoping it's just shock, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it appears as though your media in the last picture is very dry. that'll kill vft's in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    it appears as though your media in the last picture is very dry. that'll kill vft's in a heartbeat.
    That's because that was right after I repotted them but before I put them out on the porch. Once I got them outside I poured about 2 gallons of RO Water through the pot -- they're about as soaked as I can get them nowadays.

Although I am worried about that, because the pot is 10", and the saucer at the bottom, while one of those deep 4" tall ones, isn't THAT deep...

It's a 1:1:1 LFS/Peat/Perlite mix, so it should suck up water just fine, I'd hope.

I have a B-52 incoming for that pot and that Gold Strike was also supposed to go in there, but that idea's flat out now due to it being so small. The plan is to make a big X, with the B-52 in the center and the other 4 VFTs on the edges, but..

Maybe some live LFS on top to help keep in water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shouldnt need the LFS if your watering appropriately, of course never hurts I suppose? I use LFS on top of my larger outdoor pots just so that I dont have peat splash onto everything, you wind up with leafs matted down into the peat and whatnot...

glad that was just a temporary dryness I was scared for it haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New pictures!

Looks like it has it's first new, characteristic, trap. Really like the green stripe, and the sawtooth teeth are growing on me.

Also, because EdaxFlamma mentioned it, D. multifida extrema:

Wish it would grow faster. =/

Can't seem to kill this guy (D. Filiformis var Tracyii), although it was touch and go for a while. The VFTs and Cobra Lily are still outside, I probably should have brought them in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12