Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 New VFTs: "Red Pirahna" and "Gold Strike"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 New VFTs: "Gold Strike" and "Red Pirahna"

2 New plants today. One was a gift from the seller I go through, he does that every so often:

Dionaea muscipula "Gold Strike":

Dionaea muscipula "Red Pirahna":

Both are about an inch wide. Gold Strike was supposed to go outside in my great big 10" pot, but it's too small for that. I've never seen the cultivar before, and the source I got it from didn't have a picture up. Apparently when grown in full sun, it turns orange and red.

Red Pirahna was the freebie, and I donno what to do with it. For now, it's staying inside next to the Gold Strike under the lamps until they get a bit bigger or until the nights stay above 50 degrees.
    Last edited by mcantrell; 04-09-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Swapped Gold Strike and red Pirahna around in the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new plants. Cute looking little guys! I too have both of these plants, but I haven't had the "Gold Strike" very long yet. They have similar growth characteristics, but it seems that the "Gold Strike" is a little less vigorous than the 'Red Piranha'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda a bummer, I was hoping to put them out with their bigger brothers, but, at this size... no way! Fortunately I had just barely enough space to fit them under my grow lights.

I really need to find a nice square tray for the square 3.5" pots that I got from Andrew, if I could consolidate them into a single tray then I could squeeze a lot more plants under those lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most nursery centers sell "seedling trays" ( not the ones with the tiny little 1'' sq. trays. ) but their nice 1'x2' trays that are cheap and work really well for me and my 3'' square pots...

maybe you can find some?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, a goldstrike! Those aren't very common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Wow, a goldstrike! Those aren't very common.
    I've never heard of them outside of the store I occasionally go through and mmlr38's blog posting. I think I also saw a single picture of one on Flickr once a while back when trying to find more information out about the cultivar.

My worry is the size -- I have no experience taking cuttings from VFTs and growing them, but wouldn't a cutting from a bigger VFT be, er, bigger? At least on the section that came from the cutting itself? I'm hoping it thrives so that I can get a few backup plants this year (maybe sending a few out to forumgoers / Andrew for the store / etc), but given it's size, I almost think it's destined to do a full year's worth of growing under the lights before it'll be ready to split. That's OK with me, it topped off the last bit of room on my plant rack nicely.

I did just discover a few pictures of it on http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html -- including the one I posted earlier in this thread. Wow, he's speedy!

Oddly enough, the edges of the traps seem to be different in the various plants photographed there. Some are almost Dente-like, others are the really mutated jagged tooth style. I'm assuming the Jagged Tooth style is the correct version, as there seems to be more pictures of the cultivar with those type than the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    most nursery centers sell "seedling trays" ( not the ones with the tiny little 1'' sq. trays. ) but their nice 1'x2' trays that are cheap and work really well for me and my 3'' square pots...

maybe you can find some?
    Bingo!

Perfect fit, 3 across. I really consolidated a huge amount of space there. I might even be able to keep the incoming B-52 VFT under the lights for a bit, and now have space to move the 3 I have outside inside if I decide to. The weather is great out but they are in shock due to the cold nights and all that. =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total non sequitor but I love the D. multifida extrema in that photo!
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast