Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Venus Flytrap 911

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a peat/perlite mix for the bottom 2/3 of the pot and a peat/sand mix for the rest of the top....i found that when i dug up the mini bog i made last year, the larger sarracenias had root spread about a foot in diameter and depth and the VFT rhizomes were about the size of golf balls.

i also find when repotting the vft that if i wrap up the rhizome in LFS then bury it in the plant seems to recover alot faster than ones just planted straight in the peat mix.

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that white sand I linked look like silica? Personally I think it looks like salt, but I've never seen real silica sand before, so I can't quite tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, is that a flower stalk coming up?!

The plants are doing quite well under the growlights now. The Typical has 2 or 3 traps coming up, the Dente has a new trap coming up, and the Akai Ryu... has a flower stalk.

The grow lights are on a 14-16ish photoperiod and the temperatures are a bit more consistent. I'm worried I won't be able to take them back outside at this rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well at least you know that vft is alive... since its sending up a flower stalk,

but obviously a plant in that state your not exactly going to want to risk the flowering at this point...

normally you'd let it grow an inch or two and then snip it and use it for a cutting for a bonus plant but again, if I were you I think i'd snip that immediately... the vft needs a hug

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    well at least you know that vft is alive... since its sending up a flower stalk,

but obviously a plant in that state your not exactly going to want to risk the flowering at this point...

normally you'd let it grow an inch or two and then snip it and use it for a cutting for a bonus plant but again, if I were you I think i'd snip that immediately... the vft needs a hug

Good luck
    Way ahead of ya, did the snip last night once I got a better look. Hope it sends up an actual trap soon, there's not much of the original plant left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem you are having is what I had: low temperatures

I now leave my plants inside by a large south facing window in my office. I'll move them outside in May. They'll go back inside when the over-night frosts return. Usually end of November where I live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if it's light. They only get about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day in that nook (the rest of the day is bright indirect light).

My inside rack has a new problem. I noticed all my cuttings have exploded with shoots and my seeds are starting to sprout (still no Cobra Lily Seed strikes, though) -- and my Purple Pitcher Plant is shriveling up despite having very moist soil.

I have a sinking suspicion I'm going to come home to discover the thermometer with min/max memory I installed in there last night is going to say something horrifying for a max...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123