Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venus Flytrap 911

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venus Flytrap 911

So I went out to flood water my new Sarracenia leucophylla and Sarracenia leucophylla "Titan" pot, and decided to flood water my VFT pot.

Then, looking closer, I decided to bring them in for emergency repotting and putting under the growlights.

This is what they looked like 3 weeks ago when I got them (and repotted the one I had before):

Colony Pot

Akai Ryu

Dente

This is what they look like today:

New Colony Pot

Akai Ryu

Dente

Typical

No new stems have been put out. The temperatures outside have varied between about 50-60 and around 35 at night.

I am thinking they might have been shocked back into a form of dormancy, but I wasn't sure. I am worried they might be dying.

What should I do? Should I leave them under my grow lights, or put them back outside in this smaller pot (that is more easily watered)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they took quite a bit of shock, the best thing to do in this case is to either leave them indoors or outdoors and let them take care of themselves. As long as the rhizome is fine they'll grow back no problem. Dont unpot as that will just disturb them more. They're hardy plants, this isnt a highland Nep or a Ceph. They'll come back just let them do what they do best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they've already been repotted, mostly because when I flood-watered the outside pot, they were swamped out/buried in perlite that floated up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    Well, they've already been repotted, mostly because when I flood-watered the outside pot, they were swamped out/buried in perlite that floated up.

I would go the tray route in the future to avoid disturbing the plants any further. I have been watering that way for years without problems. Flooding just disturbs everything as you well know.

As to what to do with your plants, I would simply follow Frenchy's advice and wait for regrowth to occur; and I also find that a 1:1 compost of sphagnum peat moss and horticultural sand should be considered.

I am also reminded of Adrian Slack's advice in his 1979 Carnivorous Plants when cultivating Dionaea, "Avoid like the plague perlite, sphagnum moss, or indeed any alternative compost . . ."
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey I didn't know that was you I was talking to back when you placed the order! I'll shoot you an email.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... The typical was doing ok in 1:1 Sphagnum / Perlite, with the bigger pot I went with about a 2:2:1 Sphagnum / Perlite / LFS mix. My previous Typical suffered greatly in a 1:1 Sand/Peat mix, it was really tough to grow through, and it grew gnarled, suffering roots.

The problem I have right now, is, well, let me show you.

It's insulated, so there's that, but the thing is just too darned tall... I guess I'm just going to have to admit that it's not appropriate for VFTs. =/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you do use a tray but were also flooding the pot from above? I obviously missed something.

Capillary action will allow water to get to the plants, so drying out will not be an issue, regardless of the size of the pot.

How much light are plants receiving?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    So you do use a tray but were also flooding the pot from above? I obviously missed something.

Capillary action will allow water to get to the plants, so drying out will not be an issue, regardless of the size of the pot.

How much light are plants receiving?
    I didn't think the tray gets enough water in, the top still feels dry after a few days. The hole at the bottom is the size of a nickel. Since it hasn't recovered I decided to give it a good bit of water (about a half gallon) to make sure the top part of the soil was getting water -- someone in the previous thread said it looked dry.

I'm worrying about root rot with keeping the tray full enough for the water needed to suck up to the roots.

The pots are on my porch, which is Westward facing. I'm trapped in an apartment building, so changing that isn't an option unfortunately. They get a lot of indirect light and a few hours of direct sun each day. I will do a study on Sunday to get exact times when they get sun, I think it starts around 11-1 AM and ends around 5-6 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast