What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nifty little VFT from UNCC

I picked these up today at the UNCC plant sale for six bucks each - a VFT and a nice little capensis:

110wtgx.png

I'm a newb, but this is the darkest red I've ever seen on a VFT in person. It's dark like fresh, raw, bloody liver.

2qxmixl.png

15dktav.png

24c5nbb.png

20hq45f.png

Mmmm, digested bug bits.

apecn9.png

I dropped a caterpillar into this trap. Latching onto one of the cilia with its rear end grabber didn't save it.

mwpmr4.png

Wow, that's a pretty nice VFT. Mine hasn't been that red before.

Ah man, I'm so jealous! I wanted to go to that sale so badly, but I had to visit family in NY instead. How was the selection of plants? Do they sell cp's everyday, or was today the only opportunity?
Very nice flytrap! The color is great.

Thanks. ;D

They've always had at least a few plants and bog gardens for sale the four or so times I've been there, but today that had a lot more stuff. They had plants all over the lawns outside, and big rolling trays inside and on the sidewalks.

The common CPs like VFTs, D. capensis, S. purpurea, etc., looked to be brought in from some other grower, but are good quality mature plants from what I saw. The VFTs are only in 2.5 inch pots (in 100% peat) but as healthy as they look I wasn't planning to repot mine this year.

One thing Dr. Mellichamp did point out to me was that he had a couple divisions of the 'Ritchie Bell' Sarracenia hybrid he created available, for $20 or $25, I think - not sure. He said he hadn't yet made those commercially available. I immediately had visions of salivating Sarracenia geeks in my head. :-))

I'm going to post some pics in the Sarracenia forum in a minute.

Thanks for the info.

*Sigh*, seems like I really missed out on a great opportunity.

Did you get to meet any of the other NC growers on here?

Thanks for the info.

*Sigh*, seems like I really missed out on a great opportunity.

Did you get to meet any of the other NC growers on here?

There's still tomorrow - pack up the family for a road trip. :-D

I didn't meet anyone today but I might have seen someone. It was already pretty crowded right after they opened up. Here's a shot of the front entry at about 8:30 this morning:

sysadu.png

Hey, you're pretty good at macro shots. Nice healthy flytrap.

Nice looking VFT and great shots!

Back