What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutations

DrWurm

Californian in DC
I don't really know if "mutations" is the right term, but they are different.

In-bite
3457564580_d63eddfd01.jpg

Double Trap
3456811133_0b67eb8f1e.jpg

Can anyone tell me what those little red-orange dots are in the first picture? They're really really tiny.
Here's a bigger size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3457564580_d63eddfd01_b.jpg

They are in the second picture too. Maybe mites?

Woah, cool traps. Do the dots on the first one move at all? If they do, they could be spider mites.. or something.

Cool. I've never seen deformity like the first one.

I thought they mite be, *pause for laughter*, but after inspection under a pretty powerful magnifier, I couldn't see any legs and they weren't moving. They just looked like orange spheres. I thought they might be eggs of some kind.

Wow, after seeing that picture, I looked at my VFT and found spider mites on it.

So, I believe those were mite eggs. I found other red mites wandering around upon further inspection.

Well I'm currently drowning mine. I also found mites and mealy bugs on a cactus that was on the other side of my room. That's in the garbage now.

I gave the plants a healthy coating of systemic 3 in 1 pest killer. Should keep the bugs off for a while.

All these 'mutations' are most probabl;y the cause of extensive cloning and cloning, what a shame.

I once had a double trap on a typical. It never fully developed though. :(

my_first_freak.jpg

neato, that sucks about the mites though.

I had this cool mutation on a VFT I got at the store. It was there when I got it.. The trap was like a half cup trap, but with two thorn looking teeth sticking off the end of the "hinge" part, at the closed end of the cup. It died, and the plant didn't make any more.

Back