What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When it catches..

xShaun

Dionaea Owner
Hey, I'm new to this whole thing. Got the Dionaea given to me, I have tried to research it to the best of my ability. Just when it feeds, It says everywhere it should take a few days to digest and leave the insect skeleton. But mine usually opens by the next day, and nothing remains. Now I'm not sure if this is because the flies/insects are small or just because of the position of the trap, so the skeleton could fall out.

But is it normal for the trap to open up the very next day after approx. 20-24hours.

Sorry if I've missed something previously.

All the best

Shaun

Either the prey is too small and escaping the closed leaves before they completely seal or the traps have been sprung without catching anything. It takes several days at best for Dionaea to feed. The exoskeltons of insects are indigestible and always remain, unless they fall out or are ultimately removed by wind or rain.

well, theoretically, if it opens the next day, it`s cause it caught nothing. something might have triggered the trap, but nothing got trapped. on all my vft`s, the 'skeletons' remain stuck after opening(5-9 days later), and require a good nudge to get them loose, so i think your plant was just a little too slow in catching his food.

Ahhh, thanks for the guidance :)

In addition to what was already said, the trigger hairs need to feel something moving around for the trap to completely seal and stay closed. Only adequately sized live food can achieve this.

ahhh that makes more sense :), I think the food was too small. So obviously, it was too small, and the trap opened, and released the bugs (if any were caught)

Thanks people, cleared a lot up for me :)

Shaun

Back