What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

combine plants can this be done please help

hi i was wondering i have venus fly trap seeds (Dionaea) and drosera seeds (D. Cape) can i grow these seed with the cobra lilly in the same propagator or is this not able it is a big propagator and they are all in different cells but soon i will put then all in the same soil in the propagator all in one set of soil is this posible i dont have the cobra lilly seeds yet i just wanted to check if i can grow these 3 plants together before i bought them

Richard

I haven't grown Darlingtonia (cobra lily) before, but I'm almost positive that you can grow them with Dionaea and capensis. I know for sure that you can put Dionaea and capensis in the same pot and Darlingtonia can use the same soil. It's just that Darlingonia prefer to have their roots kept cool. Seedlings are probably more tolerant of heat though.

Yes, dionaea and darlingtonia are both temperate plants. Drosera capensis is technically tropical, but it's so hardy it can be grown with the flytraps even during mild winters.

I'm doing that right now!

DSCF1741.jpg

lol that looks pretty funky haha whats in there ? what about dormancy though for your cps ? what do u do for that ?

Richard

lol that looks pretty funky haha whats in there ? what about dormancy though for your cps ? what do u do for that ?

Richard

Looks to me like small cobra plants, VFT's, and a sundew or two in the back growing out of a bed of long fiber sphagnum.

Regarding your question, the book "Savage Garden" explains it all.

Also, here's a short video about VFT dormancy: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4067_venus-flytrap-dormancy.htm

Doesn't sound like outside is an option. You had said you live in the ghetto and/or your dog will destroy them - you also live in Great Britain so if you have Winter days/nights where the temp is below freezing for long periods, this is no good and may kill them.

If you have an unheated garage that's a great place to give them dormancy - put em in the garage in trays under about 6-8 hours of fluorescent light per day. Refill the trays after the tray dries out but before the soils dries (give or take).

If you have no way to feasibly give them dormancy, you may want to go with the fridge method. Basically around November 20th you trim the VFT's of dead leaves, carefully remove the VFT's and some soil from the pots, lightly spray them (LIGHTLY, do not drench) with anti-fungal treatment, wrap the roots and soil in a thick paper towel soaked in water you'd use to water them, and put them in a plastic baggie (I use ziplocs). Actually scottychaos often uses this method and wrote a great page with photos about how he does it. You can read it here: http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html - the fridge method is NOT an ideal method, but should be used as a last resort as opposed to no dormancy at all.

I did this for the first time in Winter 2008-2009 and my VFT's are starting to show life; my Sarracenia have already sprouted.

hmmmmm nice info to kno thanks hehe i knew it was vft's and drosera but didnt kno that other stuff was a cobra lilly hehe i dont own a garage i hope i dont have to put my plants in the fridge how long must they be in the fridge for ?i will view the stuff you have posted thanks

Richard

hmmmmm nice info to kno thanks hehe i knew it was vft's and drosera but didnt kno that other stuff was a cobra lilly hehe i dont own a garage i hope i dont have to put my plants in the fridge how long must they be in the fridge for ?i will view the stuff you have posted thanks

Richard

About 3 months...put em into dormancy around Thanksgiving (mid-late November) and take them out around Valentine's Day or late February.

If they're going outside then don't take them out until the outdoor temp stops dropping below freezing consistently. Mine were in the fridge for almost 4 months and they're all doing fine.

what if im growing them indoor can the dormancy progress be done in my shed out the back ? in the winter its normally cold here so i just wonder if you know ? i hope so cause i cant put them in the fridge unless i get a mini one but the shed idea is better is this possible ?

Richard

It's possible only if the temperature in which you're storing them doesn't consistently fall below freezing. If it's freezing outdoors and the temp in your shed maintains about 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) above freezing it should be OK to let them go dormant in there - but if they aren't getting any light in there it's not good for them obviously (I don't imagine you have a power source in the shed to run fluorescents on an 8 hour timer), and I imagine it could shorten the life span, but it could work as long as your temperature is OK. And of course keep them watered as always.

There tends to be a lot of trial and error involved for first time growers.

The end of it is you should look up info on VFT's dormancy and try to mimmick those conditions as closely as possible. You've got plenty of time to worry about it; winter's a long way off.

the shed wont go below -5 if thats any help ?

Richard

-5 what? celsius or fahrenheit?

yea celsius i dont kno if this is any good or not let me know :)

Richard

check the weather in the places where the plants grow. that should be of some help, because you would know the temps in where they grow naturally.

ummm im not sure of temp now cause they are indoor so i should imagine its pretty humid :)
i dont have temp tester

Richard

Back