What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'B52'/Flower-stalk propagation question

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
VFT Forum Goers,

My lovely B52 is flowering! yeah!

I was thinking of either pollinating it (something i know how to do lol), or trying to vegi-prop it via the flower stalk. Can you guys give me a basic run-down of how to accompish this? Of, and if you have a intereesting VFT flowering ATM, id love to cross it by this beast! :)

Thanks!
Frankie

I've not had a whole lot of success, maybe 1 out of 8 stalks I get strikes but I take the stalk and lay it mostly horizontal in my tub of live Sphagnum and cover the cut end with moss. If you see little bumps or warts forming near the cut end before the stalk shrivels up you're likely to get strikes.

Pieces without the flowers have never struck for me.

Bagging or covering could increase the chances of a strike.

I posted photos awhile back.

If you're looking to propagate the cultivar I would use the flower stalk though as NaN said there is limited success. Pollinating the flower will give you seeds but the seeds wont be a B-52 cross, it will just be a typical VFT cross. As far as the pollination process simply collecting pollen from the anthers and depositing it on the stigma will results in pollination. I'm not sure how long the stigma is receptive though I do know that Dionaea can be crossed with limited success so I assume they should be receptive for quite some time.

Good luck!

Oh, i know how to pollinate. :) I am a guy after all haha. :D

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you think bottom heat would help/hinder?

I've had great success propagating with flower stalks. Nearly every piece of stalk I've ever tried has hit. I keep it in my terrarium under very bright light on a 16 hour photoperiod and I just stick it in peat moss in the same way it was growing out of the plant (flower end up). If I'm planning on using the stalk to propagate, I snip the it when it's about an inch or two. I usually only do one piece per stalk, but I have done two or three pieces when the stalk gets longer than I've intended and those pieces have struck as well, but they take longer.

Wow,
I knew you could use flowers for TC.never heard of rooting them before.
Learn something new everyday.Guess I'll give it a try.

Back