Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the move outside

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perlite drives me nuts! I can attribute its airy qualities the main reason why my Drosphyllum and D. gramifolia plants dried up and withered. All was fine when I left for work... and then they died when I came home.

Personally, I like to mix sand and peat and have a layer of LFS on top, for VFT's, Sarracenias, and most other plants. That's a good approximation of what bog plants live in, naturally.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Bella - I do little to no acclimatizing with most plants. The one exception I make is for plants with very (extraordinarily) thin leaves, such as Utricularia, in which case I'll use a layer of shade cloth for a while. (I've seen them go from green and vibrant to white and translucent in a few hours under full sun after putting them outside for the first time.) But, I only do one intermediate transition; I use just enough shade cloth to make sure the plants don't die immediately. A healthy plant from a species that tolerates full sun should be able to make the switch without any babying; in the wild, plants don't have much choice over whether they're shaded or not.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also put VFTs straight into the scorching sun. And I'm talking about noon to 6 PM Texas sun. Oh yea they totally burn alright, get reddish on their stems and traps and sometimes die....but, whatever comes up after are super strong, resilient to wind, changes in humidity, and the sun. As long as the roots are fine, I think you'll be rewarded with stronger plants. I think of it as akin to the periodical forest fires they endure in the wild only to come back stronger.

In fact, I also grow my Ping. primuliflora (Lowes) in the same conditions. They started off as small plants living between the shaded Sars and now have matured to big sprawlers that grow right out in the open. Just gotta keep them consistently wet and you'll be surprised with how much they can tolerate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    I agree with Scotty, just throw the thing outside, itīll acclimate. VFTs are very hardy. When I got my Wal-Mart VFT, I just put it outside. It got a little burned, but the leaves it made afterwards were perfectly healthy.
    Yea, the new growth was probably 'hardened' to the outdoor temperatures, the old growth will always burn off some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I did for mine in a similar situation is, I left it inside for a week to adjust to the humidity, then I took it outside and put it under a shade cloth for another week or two (you can use an old t-shirt as a makeshift shade cloth) then It was ready for full sun, and put out new leaves fast after the transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    I agree with Scotty, just throw the thing outside, itīll acclimate. VFTs are very hardy. When I got my Wal-Mart VFT, I just put it outside. It got a little burned, but the leaves it made afterwards were perfectly healthy.
    Chalk up another dude for agreeing with Scotty. I don't have the patience to wait for plants to acclimate. I punt them straight into my conditions.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..can anyone give me a logical reason/benefit for using perlite?
    Not expert but as I understand it ... No perlite = less oxygen in the soil. Less oxygen = more anerobic activity. Anerobic activity = decay, rot, bacterial infections, fungal infections, death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just throw it outside it can take quite a while for it to recover. I did that with a S. purpurea once that came from the hardware store and it turned bright red, then crispy, and finally started to grow about 6 months later.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast