What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neat little double trap mutation

Here's a fairly common mutation on VFTs. It's my first so thought I'd share!

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

I'd love to see it when it's fully open. Should be able to at least close correctly.

Yup I'll snap a couple pics when they mature. Should be a couple days but I'll update :)
I'll test to see if the traps work separately as well.

Wouldn't be cool if you triggored one and both snapped? xD

it might if they're on the same 'system' though I doubt it as I see 2 separate xylem/phloem for each trap in the leaf. You can see it in the picture actually.

Yea i see it in the first picture, butcha never know. [:

Mutations are cool!

You're so lucky! That's awesome.

i dig the double! :) Make sure to do all sorts of experimentation for us. :)

I'd love to have a mutated trap!

Awesome! You're so lucky. :x I've yet to have mutations.

This is my first trap mutation. I'll do as much as I can with it to experiment. I'm gladly taking ideas as to what else I can do with it to test!
My question is this. If you were to tissue culture this leaf, could you get a VFT with noting but double traps?
I guess it would depend on the tissue itself if it designed that way or if the mutation is due to just hormone lvls.

I was about to ask if you make a leaf cutting, if it would work. buy definately do the tissue culture, cause that would be awesome. I'd buy 1 for $50

Nah, I don't think it'll work. I believe attempts on making a double-trapped VFT have been done, and failed. Taking a cutting or TCing the leaf will only give you a plant with the same genetic make up of the mother plant, so it will still be a normal VFT.

With the leaf cutting idea, is the genetics of the plant resulting gonna be the same as the mother plant the leaf came from, or the mutated genetics in the leaf?

Aslan

The plant and leaf have the same genetic make up (theoretically) so both would results in the same plant being produced. If the genetics of the traps happened to be different then a double trap plant could be made but my bet is the the mutation was due to hormones lvls.

:redx:

I have a 'cupped' trap mutation on my typical vft, looks scary

Back