What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water germination for VFT

Cindy

Staff member
I am trying out the water germination method suggested here.

The seeds were sown on 2nd july and I found two seeds with roots today! :boogie:

Here is what the VFT seeds look like befor I sowed them.
vft_fine_teeth_mix.jpg

I might have to try that,thanks for the link!

whats water germination

interesting..but why water germination?
why is this any better than "normal" germination?

Scot

I tried the water germination over regular germination and those that were on regular soil germinated at the same time and I did not have to move any seeds.

You dont have to stratify, do you

I am just trying it for fun since I have fresh seeds. Personally, I can't say what advantage it has over traditional sowing because previous seeds I've sowed on media didn't germinate even after stratification.

Something I've been trying this summer is having a tub of LFS, with rainwater, on the porch. I've been tossing sundew & liniflora seeds in there, as well as D. binata & filiformis leaves in there.

Picture040-1.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

I just started that and so far I see that the binata leaves are sprouting. The beauty of that kind of setup is that you can always take a clump of it with sprouted whatever and transfer it to a pot, without putting anything into shock.

I am just trying it for fun since I have fresh seeds. Personally, I can't say what advantage it has over traditional sowing because previous seeds I've sowed on media didn't germinate even after stratification.

So no stratification!

Don't stratify at all. Fresh seed has the highest germination rate. Sow right away.

11 days has passed - 5 seeds germinated :)

vft_fine_teeth_seedling.jpg

Maybe putting peat on the bottom then letting the water evaporate so the roots go into the peat making movement much easier ?

In the middle - the first seed to germinate
vft_fine_teeth_seedlings.jpg

Oh~ Congratulation!
That was a pretty smart method.
I'll try it next time.
Thanks for your sharing. Thanks~ Cindy.

Interesting thought

I have a question to ask please, I have now had two off spring from my mother plant and managed to get mine to seed, ;-) and it's going strong .... My question is this when can I remove the seeds from the plant, and do the seeds need to be chilled, before they will germinate. Please can you let me know thanks...

Noddy

Can this method be used with other types of CP's? I might try this out with some capensis seeds.

Back