Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting upset

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in this new spot, they'll get direct sunlight from sunrise to five PM? That should be plenty. You might even give them a little less - I was thinking sunrise to noon until they start recovering. But from the sound of it, they're still in pretty good condition, and once they recover, all that light should have them looking spectacular.
    One trick that I've heard from a grower I really respect is to give VFTs dappled light. Get a pine tree branch or something similar and stand it in the ground in front of your VFTs, so that it shades them a little as the sun passes behind it. VFTs naturally grow among grasses and other taller plants, and the idea is that even though they're greedy for light, a little bit of passing shade helps simulate their natural habitat and makes them extra happy. I'm told that this produces enhanced coloration, and after trying it I'm beginning to believe. I should do some scientific tests though.
    ~Joe

PS - Re: heavy watering; Yes, that's exactly what you want to do for them in the heat. My VFTs seem to dislike high water levels during the Winter, though - I'm pretty sure that oxygen availability or soil aeration is an important factor with them.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm well they were in the south part of the house.. getting light from 11 to sunset.. i think that was a big mistake..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I understand perfectly now. You'll be fine - that's a mistake anybody could make. You did a good job keeping them nice and wet. If you're patient with them I think you'll be very happy with the results. I hope you have access to a camera for once they start coming back; that's almost twice the light I can get for my own plants so I'm curious/envious. :D
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok : ) where i put them now they are also under a huge tree, even though u think it would shade it, it really doesn't its as if the sun passes at an angle where the tree can give the VFTs barely any shade.. but im hopeing for the best.. i live on a mountain with a huge view in our backyard, the VFTs will get sun the minute it rises at 6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice digs! You could put together an outrageous greenhouse in those conditions. If you could afford to keep it cooled.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the construction going on in my backyard is my parents getting a "garden room" built that connects to our house and iss mainly being made for our four dogs. Supposedly its going to have all glass windows and air conditioning.. wondering if I could use it for Neps..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    supposedly the rest of the week is low to mid 90s. So i have a choice of keeping them in a spot where they will get morning sun up until 5pm. or put them where the sundews are, only getting light between 11 to 3..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix View Post
    hmm well they were in the south part of the house.. getting light from 11 to sunset.. i think that was a big mistake..
    no..its not a mistake..
    if I were you, I would leave them on the south-side..although the other side sounds ok too..even though its less light..

its probably not the sun that is weakening the plants..its something else..
    you mentioned your watering technique:

think the main reason they are still alive despite the 8+ hours of 95-100 degree weather lately is that i water them constantly.. the soil is Always wet or soaked. sometimes i ever submerge them at night
    that could be causing some stress..
    you shouldnt have to "water them constantly"..because they should always already be wet!
    are you using trays? if not, you should get DEEP trays..like this:

Fill up the tray once a day, just keep the trays always filled, half-way to full..that will be a stable water level which the plants will appreciate, especially with your heat..

moving the plants is probably fine..but personally I wouldnt..the amount of sun isnt your problem..for VFT's the more sun the better..

it sounds to me your plants might have had some water stress..too dry, then too wet, then too dry again..you need trays!

also..2 weeks is WAY too short of a time to make any judgements on plant health..
    they need to stay in one spot for a few months at least until you can tell how they are doing..

moving them around a lot, based only on a few weeks (or days) observation isnt good for the plants..
    IMO you should pick the spot that gets the most possible sun, and just leave them there all the time..
    more sun is good..I highly doubt sun is your problem..

it sounds like these are new plants (new to you)
    they were probably growing in bad conditions before you bought them..
    and only 2 weeks later you cant expect them to look great yet..they dont react that fast..
    just give them the best possible conditions and they will be fine..

IMO you are WAY over-reacting!
    and making lots of totally unnecessary changes..
    the best thing to do is put them in full sun, give them deep water trays with good water..and then leave them alone!
    (except for maintaining the water level of course..)

(where do you live? your local climate is very important when it comes time for dormancy..)

Scot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast