Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting upset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    (where do you live? your local climate is very important when it comes time for dormancy..)
    Anytime you want advice, you should note your location (or just put it in your profile so it shows up at the left). Advice for Phoenix, AZ may be very different from England ... There are folks from all over the world here on Terra.

In general, when receiving new plants - they should be treated gently as you are unlikely to know the conditions in which they were raised. Placing terrarium-raised plants in direct July sun is a death sentence for almost anything - even plants that normally live in those conditions. Give the plants some time to acclimate to your climate, new pots, new water, etc. - then gradually move them into full sun ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Placing terrarium-raised plants in direct July sun is a death sentence for almost anything - even plants that normally live in those conditions.
    I doubt that is true..

Give the plants some time to acclimate to your climate, new pots, new water, etc. - then gradually move them into full sun ...

but still..its not a bad thing to slowly acclimate them..I just dont think its an absolute requirement..
    and in some cases, you can definately take the "coddling" too far and hurt the plants by trying to be over-protective..

IMO, new plants should be immediately placed in their "ideal" climate..full sun and all..
    because that is what is best for them in the long run..

yes, old leaves will fry..but thats ok..
    because the new leaves that come up from the rhizome will be instantly acclimated to full sun..
    IMO its far better to get the plant where it needs to be..immediately..rather than futz around trying to "protect" it from things that are good for it!

either method is probably fine..
    im just not a believer in the "acclimate slowly" theory..in my experience, there is no reason for it..and IMO its far better for the plant in the long run to simply give it the best possible home immediately, and let it get used to that..rather than give it 50 different homes in the miisguided belief of being "kind" to it..then the plant cant get used to anything, because its climate is constantly changing..

and if a plant is weak to begin with (which many new plants are) then constantly moving it around isnt a good thing..
    the sun is fine..sun is nothing to be afraid of..
    if the plant still dies, I give it 95% odds its NOT from "too much sun"!
    it probably died because it was simply too weak to begin with..before you even bought it..
    not your fault..and not the sun's fault..
    it died from weeks and months of bad conditions before you bought it..it happens..
    (especially with "death cube" type plants)
    the best way to ensure its survival after you get it is to give it the best possible conditions..which means SUN!

sun is good..do not fear the sun..
    many more VFT's have died from too little sun, than from too much..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move the plants!
    The problem here Scotty is that you are underestimating the Ca sun ...especialy the high desert one wich is very very strong. I'm shading my vft now but lost a few due to extrem heat. Having them in bigger pots might help...the small pots just heat up in a second. Vft can take lot of heat but when you're talking temps over 100-110F every day it's just not going to work.
    Try it for yourself!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think often we, as humans, extend a bit of our frail nature onto our plants..
    as a form of plant anthropomorphism..

full sun is NOT good for humans!
    if we laid out out in the full direct sun for 12 hours a day..yes, the sun would probably literally kill us in a few days..so we naturally have a fear of extended direct sun..as we should.

but VFTs NEED the full sun! they thrive in it!
    its GOOD for them!

im just trying to understand why so many people seem to fear the sun when it comes to plants that need it..could be a form of anthropomorphism??
    I think it could..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    Move the plants!
    The problem here Scotty is that you are underestimating the Ca sun ...especialy the high desert one wich is very very strong. I'm shading my vft now but lost a few due to extrem heat. Having them in bigger pots might help...the small pots just heat up in a second. Vft can take lot of heat but when you're talking temps over 100-110F every day it's just not going to work.
    Try it for yourself!
    perhaps..
    I admit I dont understand the California sun and heat..
    (I also admit that in this case, I havent been considering sun PLUS heat!
    I have been talking about sun only..yes, extreme heat is obviously bad..
    but still, I also believe they can deal with that too..)

there is plenty of evidence of CP's thriving in southern california!
    so its a known fact the plants can handle it ..
    as long as they have plenty of water (deep trays!) they can handle the California sun just fine..

In Spintix's case, its probably not a bad thing to move them where they get less sun..
    especially during the hottest days of summer..
    the only point im trying to make is that its probably also not strictly necessary..
    if in doubt (even in California) I would still say "the more sun the better"

also in Spintix's case, im not really saying he shouldnt move them!
    im just saying "pick a spot and stick with it!"
    as long as they get *enough* sun, its fine..
    I would define "enough" as at least 5 to 6 hours of direct sun a day..
    and more is better..
    if some protection needs to be made for extereme heat..
    well, thats really a seperate concern from the amount of sun alone..

actually, that should be: "pick the BEST spot and stick with it!"
    for most people "best spot" means "the most sun..period"
    but thats not always going to be true..especially in extreme climates..
    in this case, if "best spot" means less sun, in the interest of less heat..then ok then..
    as long as its still a good amount of direct sun..

and thats also seperate from the whole "acclimate slowly, or not" discussion..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vrey true on your comments. They love sun!
    In his case i would build a small wood structure ...a frame...cover with a shade cloth and also mount a misting system. I think they would do great this way.
    Also want to mention that the SoCali climate is very variable depending on your location. On the coast it's perfect for cp's, more inland it's acceptable or good, in the hills or valleys it's hot and in the high or low desert it's hell! It's a 35-50F difference in max temps between the coast and the desert.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so for the record. I have 3 choices right now. And its ben in te high 90s lately. 1st choice = where they were on the southside getting the hottest sun of the day starting at 11ish to -7 at sunset. 2nd= the northisde of the house getting sun at 6am with the sunrise until 5 when it disappears behind the house (also under a large tree). 3rd = along the east side of the house in the dog run, where all my sundews are (getting moring sun fron about 9 to 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix View Post
    the typicals were from a hardware.. the others were half from california nurseries.. and half from the east coast in a greenhouse
    I'm guessing the california nurseries didn't specialize in carnivorous plants.
    When you buy from places that don't specialize in carnivorous plants, it is likely that they are ignorant about the plants needs and are giving them less than ideal conditions.
    Then when you buy them and give them ideal conditions the plants get burnt and crispy.
    It would be like keeping you inside a dark chamber for a few months
    (because we didn't know better) and then making you spend an entire day naked on the beach. You wouldn't look to great either!
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast