Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting upset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting upset

I thought full sun would be best for the VFTs and i heard that they are very hardy and hard to kill... Theyve been in the front of my house for 2 weeks now (which is south facing) temperatures reaching up to high 90s to 100. Im getting upset because they arent adapting very well.. I even think my new fused tooth and Red dragon are dead now.. completely burnt to nothing and their is no green at all. For awhile I wanted to put them in the north facing part of my house (the backyard) but there been construction going on in the backyard.. I finally found a place to put them where they willl get morning sun all the way up to 5-6. Im just worried that I am going to lose all of them.. Even when they are completely crisp black is it likely that they will grow back? do I really need to get shade cloth for VTFs?
    Last edited by xvart; 07-13-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked their rhizomes, if they're white and firm with pinkish tinge, they'll be fine.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep breaths, man. It's nothing to get worked up over - everybody has a few setbacks when they get started with a new plant. It sounds like you've got some fairly intense conditions - where did these plants come from? Plants from the hardware store can probably do OK outside in those temperatures, but you definitely run the risk of crisping some leaves if you put them straight into all-day full sun. Is it possible to get them a spot where they're lit in the morning and then have some shade or filtering from noon onwards? Plants from another grower or a CP nursery should already be more-or-less used to the sun; if that's the case, the tips of the foliage (the traps) may wilt as the plant adjusts, but it should bounce back in a week or two when the leaves it's working on right now are ready to unfurl.
    Keep in mind that it takes lots of energy and water just to keep those traps in working order, let alone catch a bug with one; if your plant suddenly finds itself in uncertain conditions, it will hedge its bets and drop its traps as a kind of cost-cutting measure. Once it's confident in its surroundings again, it'll go right back to normal. Thankfully, VFTs are not as pouty as, say, Neps.
    They may not be gone yet - especially if you were careful not to let the soil dry out. Are the petioles of the leaves still intact? You can lose the trap itself (to burning, or overfeeding, or lots of other reasons) and the petiole will often survive for a while afterwards. They'll still photosynthesize and 95% of the time, your plant won't miss a beat. Also, how close to the surface of the media are they? Plants that are a little buried can often appear totally dead on top, but underneath the corm and roots are still intact and start throwing up new leaves a few weeks to a few months later. A top dressing of live Sphagnum can be useful in this respect, as it buffers the moisture and temperature at the soil surface and prevents the corm from overheating or desiccating. Worst comes to worst, if you dig up your plant and find it badly damaged, you could pull all the leaves apart, trim the dead and dried parts, and then use them for cuttings. But in all likelihood, it's only the exposed parts of the plant that were fried. So, I'd suggest exhuming one to see how bad they are, and just try your best to be patient with the others.
    Good luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, I would try checking the rhizomes. If they aren't white with a pinkish tinge, I would think they're goners. If it is alive, however, I would trying taking a few leaf pullings.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not even need pullings if the roots and corm are still intact; if you dig one up and still find it alive-looking (like, not mushy or crispy) you should leave the rest alone and just give them a chance to regain their strength. The roots will be the only parts still close to full health - they don't need to deal with being dug up right now. I'm not certain about VFTs in particular, but most plants don't strike well from cuttings that were taken at times of stress or illness.
    On the other hand, I've gotten plantlets from little half-inch bits of petiole left at the bottom of the corm after the rest of the leaf has rotted away, so what experience I do have seems to indicate that VFTs are fairly easy from cuttings.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gently checked all of them. And to my surprise. Out of my 19 VFT assortment only 2 are lost causes. 1 = One of my very small fused tooths which rhizome is completely black and cant even tell it from the moss. Another was just a typical that was black as well.. Ill leave them there and hope for the best.. the others all look healthy underneath the medium.. happily.. I hope they do better on the north side of the house where i just put them.. where they will get morning sun and wont get any light past 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the typicals were from a hardware.. the others were half from california nurseries.. and half from the east coast in a greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the main reason they are still alive despite the 8+ hours of 95-100 degree weather lately is that i water them constantly.. the soil is Always wet or soaked. sometimes i ever submerge them at night

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast