Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New VFT!! YAY!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chomp you have got to calm down. ive noticed in almost all of your threads you start getting really defensive. i know the internet forums are full of LOTS of mean people. most only post dimwitted, sarcastic, idiotic things to make the original poster feel like a total loser. i suppose its their way of making themselves feel better about themselves since they are dimwitted sarcastic idiots. i can guarantee you that there are absolutely no flamers or trolls on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chomp View Post
    i just got a new fly trap today, and it is already in my terrarium. (i named him jaws, LOL)

Chomp,
    you have been around this forum long enough to know that you cant post something like that and not expect to get flack for it..

its kind of like posting "hey! I just got a new puppy! im planning to leave him chained out to the doghouse every hour of every day of the year and just give him food and water once a day but otherwise ignore him! yay! im so excited about my new puppy!"

then get all offended when people jump all over you for being such a crappy pet owner.
    this is the exact same thing..

We understand you want to keep your VFT in a terrarium..
    you should understand by now that VFTs simply dont do well in terrariums..
    what you want is irrelevant..
    you should do what is best for the plant..not "do what you want" (terrarium) if its really bad for the plant..

doing what you want, in this case = death of the plant...is that REALLY what you want?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chomp I would listen to these guys. They know their stuff. When I got my first VFT I put it in a terrarium. I saw that it was doing quite poorly in it's little controlled environment so I decided I would put it outside. There was one problem though. The air outside suddenly rose into the triple digits, and with my VFT being in the state it was, I didn't believe it would survive the acclimation. So now, I'm waiting for the fall to begin and the temperatures to drop before I can put it out. Hopefully it'll survive it's outdoor dormancy, and live to see another year, where it WILL get a good amount of desert sun. Trust me, either the plant will be light starved with the tiniest traps ever and no red coloration, or it'll kick the bucket. I really didn't expect my VFT to survive being in a terrarium for 6 months but I guess I'm lucky that it's still clinging on.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118401
    "What? I'm not a doctoh. I am only five years old." - Dr. Tran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can leave a vft in a terranium... outside....with no top on.... but theres almost 40% that it'll overheat. If you want to leave your plants in a terranium so you can feed it bugs easier... why not just breed the bugs and leave a spot for the plant pot and leave it in there so that you can have your sick twisted entertainment. But heres another warning.. vfts will NOT snap properly if there is not sufficient conditions.
    -Another thing if I sound naggy.. its my genes!
    *Random stranger : "Ughh! He's playing the gene card again"

When I started out I followed almost everything on Barry Rice's FAQ, but from experiance I found out you can cut corners. For Nepenthes as an example... he states that they need humidity over 60%.. not necsisarily true. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people grow them in dry conditions.

At the singapore Orchad Gardens.... OMFG I almost cried...
    Heres why:

They had VFTs and sarracenia... in a MIST ROOM, where NEPENTHES were... and they looked hella weak. The vfts were ALL green... most of them flowering.. probably from stress...
    The sarracenias we'rent any better. They were mostly flavas which should be green... but not flopping over.. very sad.

The nepenthes were thriving in the Mist Greenhouse.. so were heliamphoras,pings, and a capensis that WASNT EVEN RED... and im sure it ain't albo.. so if capensis aint getting nuf light.. then ya'lls vft's aint man.

Alls to go

sun:vft:good
    terranium:nepenthes:good
    terranium:heliamphore:good
    terranium:vft:hell:for:vft

Not trying to start an arguement, and I;m sure that noone that posted here was either.
    You'll see the sick vfts/sarracenia when I get back to the states and find my camera USB cable. I'll make a huge post... of everything. Japan..Singapore...Indoensia (better be neps ). Going to Indonesia tomorrow
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    number one. it shouldnt grow in a terrarium. number two. if you insist on having one in a terrarium and think that lights and sun will be enough light. its probably not. sun+enclosed area=greenhouse effect. your plant will perish from heat. fast. the only justifiable reasons to grow a VFT indoors under lights are if they are seedlings, which you can grow for 2 or 3 years without a dormancy(bigger seedlings because no dormancy period growth stoppage) and the other is if you lived in alaska or antarctica. which you dont.

buy two plants. put one outside and one in a terrarium doing whatever you see fit to please it. you will see a very obvious difference.

i doubt you have sufficient lighting. a sufficient light would be a high pressure sodium or medal halide light(the kind you see in places like gyms. they have gigantic bulbs) but they cost nearly $300. wait for your first leaf to emerge and then go from there. if your new leaf is very green and the part below the trap is flimsy and somewhat jagged, then you have a problem with your light.

none of this was supposed to be an argument. this quarrel started when you knew what was best for the plant and tokk no one elses suggestions into consideration and you defended your position. no one is always right. part of this forum is accepting you are wrong and taking others advice to better yourself. if i never accepted being wrong i would still be growing plants in a terrarium with incandescent(normal light bulbs) lights wondering why my Nepenthes x ventrata wouldnt pitcher.... live and learn.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for being nice about it glider14.
    I am trying to find a safe place for the VFT outside. I've read that VFTs make great terrarium plants on so many websites, but you guys seem firm on this, so I'll do it.
    On the bright side, (Although I do know that this is
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, i ment to click on go advanced instead of post quick reply. Oops.
    On the bright side, (Although I do know that this is ) I am hopefully going to get my first pitcher plant soon. And yes I do know how to take care of it...
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By pitcher plant, you could be talking about nepenthes, heliamphora, sarracenia, cephalotus, darlingtonia....
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast