6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, a nep or sarr?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the money for a nep. (yet) So yes, it is a sarr.
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can edit posts, all you had to do was click edit at the bottom of your post to continue where you left off
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn it! im always forgeting that!
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    Well, you put it in a terrarium, which is a big nono for VFT/Sarracenia care. they dont do well in those settings.
    trust me, ive tried.
    Hello,

Ive grown Sarracenia and Dionaea in undrained glass containers for 20+ years, with no more problems than in regular pots. Get a turkey baster for times too much water gets into the undrained container. Problems solved! Growers will still have to watch out for insect pests and other pathogens. Cleaning the glass is a hastle, but from what I've seen most cp growers don't keep their pots very clean anyway.

Skilled growers learn to overcome obstacles and make them into opportunities. I think glass containers look more stylish than pots. Tissue culture is done in undrained glass containers and most of everyone here (on this forum) has some tc material.

Sarracenia don't do well on windowsills long term (for me), but Dionaea grow quite well, if the grower uses common sense and the right windowsill.
    I have many of mine in full Florida sun.

One of the worlds largest wholesale producers of Dionaea gives them no dormancy, and has done quite well. He ships to both hemispheres, and that requires winter (short day) growing.

Just another 2 cents of advice.

Take care,
    Steven Stewart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, some neps are cheaper than some sarrs. what type of sarr anyways? also, one flytrapshop.com theres some neps that are affordable
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Hello,

Ive grown Sarracenia and Dionaea in undrained glass containers for 20+ years, with no more problems than in regular pots. Get a turkey baster for times too much water gets into the undrained container. Problems solved! Growers will still have to watch out for insect pests and other pathogens. Cleaning the glass is a hastle, but from what I've seen most cp growers don't keep their pots very clean anyway.

Skilled growers learn to overcome obstacles and make them into opportunities. I think glass containers look more stylish than pots. Tissue culture is done in undrained glass containers and most of everyone here (on this forum) has some tc material.

Sarracenia don't do well on windowsills long term (for me), but Dionaea grow quite well, if the grower uses common sense and the right windowsill.
    I have many of mine in full Florida sun.

One of the worlds largest wholesale producers of Dionaea gives them no dormancy, and has done quite well. He ships to both hemispheres, and that requires winter (short day) growing.

Just another 2 cents of advice.

Take care,
    Steven Stewart
    Im not sure if you were just calling me a nonskilled grower or what.
    But, 20 years on a windowsill?
    let me see a plant that has gone 20 years without dormancy, a full catalog of photos with timestamps, or it didnt happen.
    Sarracenia and Dionaea do not belong in a terrarium or a windowsill.
    Do you think the "worlds largest wholesaler" cares about the general health of the plants, if he can ship them all year, who cares about dormancy, why do you think we find flytraps in full growth in the middle of the winter in super markets
    just because a large wholesaler does it, doesnt mean its right.
    Again, there is a huge difference between tissue culture and regular growing.
    TC is only to get the plants started, once they become a certain size out of that plant material, they pot them up.
    TC material, also, is more of a gel if i recall, and they do change the agar solutions and gels a couple of times in the TC process.
    PROVE that VFTs dont need dormancy, and it will be a huge step in the CP community.
    Dont try and say im not a skilled grower because i stated that flytraps and sarrs dont do well inside, especially long term, only seedlings do. and only for 2-3 years.
    Im sure many people here will agree with that.

Edit:
    and to shipping to other areas in the world requiring winter short day growing?
    You can skip a dormancy once in awhile without severely affecting a plant.
    Doesnt mean its right.
    Once the new growing season is around, it should still be stuck outside in full sun with the rest of whomevers temperate plants to go through the cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Steven said you need a bit of skil in order to be able to grow them under lights. Not for beginners!
    There are a few growers that do this with lot of success ....even if Scotty or SK don't believe it!
    If you can do it outside that's the way to go...it's natural and it works! But to say that can't be done inside succesfuly for years it's just ignorance comming from you guys. Just a few (if any) on this forum are doing it and they can prove it too...but you will still not going to believe it and why would they bother to prove anything to you anyway?! l With dormancy of course, which can be done inside under lights too.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast