What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New VFT!! YAY!!!

Chomp, the people here are just trying to help you out, you will save a lot on electricity costs from using natural sun as lighting, and your little plant will grow and be healthy. They are just offering you suggestions to keep your plant healthy, it's your decision whether you want the plant to thrive and be happy, or have it croak in unsuitable conditions. Your choice...

Hi Chomp,

Well you know, this is a forum for people to come together and help each other! No ones here to babysit you. You have to be prepared for everything when you make a post to a public forum!

We Just want to help you, theres people here who are more experienced than me and you in many aspects. And for example I think I have a pretty good understanding of Nepenthes cultivation wise. But if there's someone to give me advice about neps, i listen because everyone has something good to contribute!

So when people tell you that Real light is better, its because it is! Sunlight has properties that man-made lighting lacks. It will contribute to stronger and more robust plants, and you'll have a better chance of them getting through dormancy!

This hobby requires good knowledge, and doing whats best if you can do it, and i'm sure you can do it. You can't get anywhere by being hard headed, its always good to welcome other people's opinions and advice.

Well i think that i was kind of hooked to the idea of having the VFT in the terrarium, so when i heard that it probably wouldn't work, i got frustrated. The terrarium is sitting next to a rather sunny window, so in addition to the lamp, i do get plenty of natural light on it... Thanks for the help guys. Sorry i over reacted...
I'll try and post a picture of the terrarium sometime!

Sorry to bring more bad news, but the glass of the window and tank would decrease the intensity of the sunlight. :x

chomp you have got to calm down. ive noticed in almost all of your threads you start getting really defensive. i know the internet forums are full of LOTS of mean people. most only post dimwitted, sarcastic, idiotic things to make the original poster feel like a total loser. i suppose its their way of making themselves feel better about themselves since they are dimwitted sarcastic idiots. i can guarantee you that there are absolutely no flamers or trolls on this forum.

i just got a new fly trap today, and it is already in my terrarium. (i named him jaws, LOL)

:banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Chomp,
you have been around this forum long enough to know that you cant post something like that and not expect to get flack for it..

its kind of like posting "hey! I just got a new puppy! im planning to leave him chained out to the doghouse every hour of every day of the year and just give him food and water once a day but otherwise ignore him! yay! im so excited about my new puppy!"

then get all offended when people jump all over you for being such a crappy pet owner.
this is the exact same thing..

We understand you want to keep your VFT in a terrarium..
you should understand by now that VFTs simply dont do well in terrariums..
what you want is irrelevant..
you should do what is best for the plant..not "do what you want" (terrarium) if its really bad for the plant..

doing what you want, in this case = death of the plant...is that REALLY what you want?

Scot

Chomp I would listen to these guys. They know their stuff. When I got my first VFT I put it in a terrarium. I saw that it was doing quite poorly in it's little controlled environment so I decided I would put it outside. There was one problem though. The air outside suddenly rose into the triple digits, and with my VFT being in the state it was, I didn't believe it would survive the acclimation. So now, I'm waiting for the fall to begin and the temperatures to drop before I can put it out. Hopefully it'll survive it's outdoor dormancy, and live to see another year, where it WILL get a good amount of desert sun. Trust me, either the plant will be light starved with the tiniest traps ever and no red coloration, or it'll kick the bucket. I really didn't expect my VFT to survive being in a terrarium for 6 months but I guess I'm lucky that it's still clinging on.

You can leave a vft in a terranium... outside....with no top on.... but theres almost 40% that it'll overheat. If you want to leave your plants in a terranium so you can feed it bugs easier... why not just breed the bugs and leave a spot for the plant pot and leave it in there so that you can have your sick twisted entertainment. :D But heres another warning.. vfts will NOT snap properly if there is not sufficient conditions.
-Another thing if I sound naggy.. its my genes!
*Random stranger : "Ughh! He's playing the gene card again"

When I started out I followed almost everything on Barry Rice's FAQ, but from experiance I found out you can cut corners. For Nepenthes as an example... he states that they need humidity over 60%.. not necsisarily true. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people grow them in dry conditions.

At the singapore Orchad Gardens.... OMFG I almost cried...
Heres why:

They had VFTs and sarracenia... in a MIST ROOM, where NEPENTHES were... and they looked hella weak. The vfts were ALL green... most of them flowering.. probably from stress...
The sarracenias we'rent any better. They were mostly flavas which should be green... but not flopping over.. very sad.

The nepenthes were thriving in the Mist Greenhouse.. so were heliamphoras,pings, and a capensis that WASNT EVEN RED... and im sure it ain't albo.. so if capensis aint getting nuf light.. then ya'lls vft's aint man.

Alls to go

sun:vft:good
terranium:nepenthes:good
terranium:heliamphore:good
terranium:vft:hell:for:vft

Not trying to start an arguement, and I;m sure that noone that posted here was either.
You'll see the sick vfts/sarracenia when I get back to the states and find my camera USB cable. I'll make a huge post... of everything. Japan..Singapore...Indoensia (better be neps :(). Going to Indonesia tomorrow
LOL :offtopic:

number one. it shouldnt grow in a terrarium. number two. if you insist on having one in a terrarium and think that lights and sun will be enough light. its probably not. sun+enclosed area=greenhouse effect. your plant will perish from heat. fast. the only justifiable reasons to grow a VFT indoors under lights are if they are seedlings, which you can grow for 2 or 3 years without a dormancy(bigger seedlings because no dormancy period growth stoppage) and the other is if you lived in alaska or antarctica. which you dont.

buy two plants. put one outside and one in a terrarium doing whatever you see fit to please it. you will see a very obvious difference.

i doubt you have sufficient lighting. a sufficient light would be a high pressure sodium or medal halide light(the kind you see in places like gyms. they have gigantic bulbs) but they cost nearly $300. wait for your first leaf to emerge and then go from there. if your new leaf is very green and the part below the trap is flimsy and somewhat jagged, then you have a problem with your light.

none of this was supposed to be an argument. this quarrel started when you knew what was best for the plant and tokk no one elses suggestions into consideration and you defended your position. no one is always right. part of this forum is accepting you are wrong and taking others advice to better yourself. if i never accepted being wrong i would still be growing plants in a terrarium with incandescent(normal light bulbs) lights wondering why my Nepenthes x ventrata wouldnt pitcher.... live and learn.

Alex

Thank you for being nice about it glider14.
I am trying to find a safe place for the VFT outside. I've read that VFTs make great terrarium plants on so many websites, but you guys seem firm on this, so I'll do it.
On the bright side, (Although I do know that this is

sorry, i ment to click on go advanced instead of post quick reply. Oops.
On the bright side, (Although I do know that this is:offtopic: ) I am hopefully going to get my first pitcher plant soon. And yes I do know how to take care of it...

By pitcher plant, you could be talking about nepenthes, heliamphora, sarracenia, cephalotus, darlingtonia....

I don't have the money for a nep. (yet) So yes, it is a sarr.

you can edit posts, all you had to do was click edit at the bottom of your post to continue where you left off :D

Darn it! im always forgeting that!

Well, you put it in a terrarium, which is a big nono for VFT/Sarracenia care. they dont do well in those settings.
trust me, ive tried.

Hello,

Ive grown Sarracenia and Dionaea in undrained glass containers for 20+ years, with no more problems than in regular pots. Get a turkey baster for times too much water gets into the undrained container. Problems solved! Growers will still have to watch out for insect pests and other pathogens. Cleaning the glass is a hastle, but from what I've seen most cp growers don't keep their pots very clean anyway.

Skilled growers learn to overcome obstacles and make them into opportunities. I think glass containers look more stylish than pots. Tissue culture is done in undrained glass containers and most of everyone here (on this forum) has some tc material.

Sarracenia don't do well on windowsills long term (for me), but Dionaea grow quite well, if the grower uses common sense and the right windowsill.
I have many of mine in full Florida sun.

One of the worlds largest wholesale producers of Dionaea gives them no dormancy, and has done quite well. He ships to both hemispheres, and that requires winter (short day) growing.

Just another 2 cents of advice.

Take care,
Steven Stewart

Actually, some neps are cheaper than some sarrs. what type of sarr anyways? also, one flytrapshop.com theres some neps that are affordable

Hello,

Ive grown Sarracenia and Dionaea in undrained glass containers for 20+ years, with no more problems than in regular pots. Get a turkey baster for times too much water gets into the undrained container. Problems solved! Growers will still have to watch out for insect pests and other pathogens. Cleaning the glass is a hastle, but from what I've seen most cp growers don't keep their pots very clean anyway.

Skilled growers learn to overcome obstacles and make them into opportunities. I think glass containers look more stylish than pots. Tissue culture is done in undrained glass containers and most of everyone here (on this forum) has some tc material.

Sarracenia don't do well on windowsills long term (for me), but Dionaea grow quite well, if the grower uses common sense and the right windowsill.
I have many of mine in full Florida sun.

One of the worlds largest wholesale producers of Dionaea gives them no dormancy, and has done quite well. He ships to both hemispheres, and that requires winter (short day) growing.

Just another 2 cents of advice.

Take care,
Steven Stewart

Im not sure if you were just calling me a nonskilled grower or what.
But, 20 years on a windowsill?
let me see a plant that has gone 20 years without dormancy, a full catalog of photos with timestamps, or it didnt happen.
Sarracenia and Dionaea do not belong in a terrarium or a windowsill.
Do you think the "worlds largest wholesaler" cares about the general health of the plants, if he can ship them all year, who cares about dormancy, why do you think we find flytraps in full growth in the middle of the winter in super markets
just because a large wholesaler does it, doesnt mean its right.
Again, there is a huge difference between tissue culture and regular growing.
TC is only to get the plants started, once they become a certain size out of that plant material, they pot them up.
TC material, also, is more of a gel if i recall, and they do change the agar solutions and gels a couple of times in the TC process.
PROVE that VFTs dont need dormancy, and it will be a huge step in the CP community.
Dont try and say im not a skilled grower because i stated that flytraps and sarrs dont do well inside, especially long term, only seedlings do. and only for 2-3 years.
Im sure many people here will agree with that.

Edit:
and to shipping to other areas in the world requiring winter short day growing?
You can skip a dormancy once in awhile without severely affecting a plant.
Doesnt mean its right.
Once the new growing season is around, it should still be stuck outside in full sun with the rest of whomevers temperate plants to go through the cycle.

As Steven said you need a bit of skil in order to be able to grow them under lights. Not for beginners!
There are a few growers that do this with lot of success ....even if Scotty or SK don't believe it!
If you can do it outside that's the way to go...it's natural and it works! But to say that can't be done inside succesfuly for years it's just ignorance comming from you guys. Just a few (if any) on this forum are doing it and they can prove it too...but you will still not going to believe it and why would they bother to prove anything to you anyway?! l With dormancy of course, which can be done inside under lights too.

Back