What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52s . . .

Here are a few generous shots of Dionaea muscipula cv. B52, finally acquiring some nice Summer color, and definitely their fair share of prey -- growing fat and red on a diet of spiders, flies, and -- embarrassingly enough -- quite a number of bees and wasps this year. It is actually a rarity to see so many open traps at any given time, so it was an opportunity to snap some shots . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. B52

B52-5.jpg

B52-4.jpg

B52-3.jpg

B52-1-1.jpg

Very nice indeed .... Thanks for the post

OMG!! They're just gorgeous!! (I don't know how to spell it. :p) The colours are so red! I love those red lines on the outside also! And ou have so many! :O That's so cool, thanks for sharing.

OMG!! They're just gorgeous!! (I don't know how to spell it. :p) The colours are so red! I love those red lines on the outside also! And ou have so many! :O That's so cool, thanks for sharing.

Thanks . . .

I divided most of my plants in early Spring (multiplied them by three as it turned out); and that is the result. Here is that very same set of pots in early Spring of 2009, just as they were coming out of dormancy:

B52s.jpg

Some of the other traits of this cultivar, aside from its large traps (the largest have been 5.5 cm / 2" so far this season) are the red bands on the trap's outer margin (my other cultivars never develop that, even in the same environment) and often more numerous trigger-hairs, numbering six or more. The traps are also quite long-lived and are capable of capturing upwards of twice the number of prey of the 'typical" form before a leaf dies.

very very cool, those divisions lookk great, although they're not really divisions anymore, hehe. :) 2 inch traps are huge... I hope my B52's I'll be getting grow to be like that. AWSOME plants, if I lived in the US I would be willing to buy some off you. :D Also, what soil mix do you use? It looks better then peat and perlite. (the "style" not quality, hehe) Thanks for posting!!!

They are beautiful.

very very cool, those divisions look great, although they're not really divisions anymore, hehe. :) 2 inch traps are huge... I hope my B52's I'll be getting grow to be like that. AWESOME plants, if I lived in the US I would be willing to buy some off you. :D Also, what soil mix do you use? It looks better then peat and perlite. (the "style" not quality, hehe) Thanks for posting!!!

Thanks . . .

My preferred compost is simply a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of sphagnum peat moss to coarse horticultural sand (by volume). I just have a general dislike of perlite and rarely use it.

They are beautiful.

Thank you very much . . .

What can I say? "Stunning", "Outrageous", or "Insane" won't cut it for those plants... I need to get myself a B-52 soon, those pics are inspirational :)

Gorgeous plants!

What amazing color!

It's been a difficult growing season for me - mainly pest problems and I should have repotted this spring. Here's one of my 'B52' compared with a typical from this year. The typical usually keeps up with the 'B52' through the first half of the growing season.

'B52'
P8030049.jpg

typical
P8030050.jpg

typical on left, largest trap about 1inch. 'B52' a little over 1.5 inches.
P8030045.jpg

I too have had "issues" earlier this season and did my part keeping Ortho in business; for whatever reason, aphids were particularly nasty this time around. They mostly affected other flytraps, particularly some "Big Mouth" plants that I've had for years -- which often rivaled the "B52s" in terms of size by Fall. Some are only now producing their first normal sizable leaves, though you can still see, on the older traps, the damage from the pests . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "Big Mouth"

bigmouth.jpg

Back