Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few plants to show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    My plants grow outside in full sun dawn to dusk..... never get that coloration on them.
    I have noticed from pictures that many VFT's grown in greenhouses have better coloration for some reason.
    My VFTs grown outside in full sun only get hints of red, but when grown under lights they get deep red. Seems backwards to me.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    My VFTs grown outside in full sun only get hints of red, but when grown under lights they get deep red. Seems backwards to me.
    I've noticed similar results.

Even with plants that got dabbled sunlight got more color then compared to full sunlight.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    My plants grow outside in full sun dawn to dusk..... never get that coloration on them.
    I have noticed from pictures that many VFT's grown in greenhouses have better coloration for some reason.
    I do not know why this happens either, it could be that the poly intensifies the UV
    and at the same time distributes it . The best example I can think of is that the sun is closest to Earth in the Winter and farthest away in the Summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    WOW!! THose are seriously the best VFTs I have ever seen!! Impressive!!!
    vraev- I totally agree. I have seen tens if not hundreds of thousands of cultivated vft in my 35 years of growing cp's and I can honestly say that mesaman is bar none the single best vft grower I have ever encountered. I just stand in awe at his abilities. And I am seriously not kidding folks when I say that you can literally HEAR his flytraps snapping shut..they're just that freaking big.

I remember on one visit he allowed me to stick my finger in one of the larger of his dente plants. It was so fast and big and strong that it felt like it was going to slice right through my finger. I couldn't believe the vice pressure this thing had. It was the most excitingly (eew) errie feeling I think I've ever had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=philcula;938489]vraev- I totally agree. I have seen tens if not hundreds of thousands of cultivated vft in my 35 years of growing cp's and I can honestly say that mesaman is bar none the single best vft grower I have ever encountered. I just stand in awe at his abilities. And I am seriously not kidding folks when I say that you can literally HEAR his flytraps snapping shut..they're just that freaking big.

Thank you Philcula, I appreciate that greatly....Well, now that I have mastered growing VFT"s I think I will try growing a few cattleya orchids to see what might happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesaman View Post
    Thank you Philcula, I appreciate that greatly....Well, now that I have mastered growing VFT"s I think I will try growing a few cattleya orchids to see what might happen.
    Cattleya orchids I grow TONS of those dude. I'm all for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So whats the TRICK then

Noddy

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can surely understand Phil. I know trap closure speed can be dependent on a number of things...but when I had some intense red thriving VFTs.... I used to watch my VFTs catch escaped crickets in my tank.....holy crap they were fast.
    But lol.....Mesaman....phil is right....those are just picture perfect plants man. Immaculate job at it as well...not a single dead trap....everything is a nice clean rosette. Even your media is nice and clean of weeds or mosses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast