Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 00 Fly Trap Status achieved by the BRITISH!, Operation "Slient Move"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The orange specks in the foreground look like spider mites to me. Plus it looks like typical spider mite damage on the petiole/leaf base. See arrows and circled area:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00 Fly Trap Status achieved by the BRITISH!, Operation "Slient Move"-vftm-jpg  
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI scottychaos I think your correct as there's a thread going to another leaf like a normal spider...

How drowning them.. does that work?

I could not see any other spiders on there...

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    HI scottychaos I think your correct as there's a thread going to another leaf like a normal spider...

How drowning them.. does that work?

I could not see any other spiders on there...

Noddy
    if its a normal spider, then dont worry about it..
    it wont hurt your plant at all..

I never kill spiders..when I find one in the house I collect it in a jar and put it outside..
    spiders and bats are our best friends..they eat HUGE amounts of bugs..

Spiders and CP's are on the same team!
    (of course, the CP's dont always know that, and sometimes eat their team mates..)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN he just recently moved his plant into the sun
    its just from it being grown indoors, etiolation and poor conditions
    now that its outside, it could be a light burn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noddy,

When I see the combined depth, breadth & years of experience telling you that there is a good chance you have a spider mite infestation - personally - I would listen (& try to learn from what they were seeing).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, can't argue with experience, but I don't think there's enough content in that picture to conclusively prove that it isn't just a baby spider. The specks in the foreground could certainly be mites, but they could also be dust, little bits of substrate, or pretty much anything else. The web could easily have been made by a baby spider. The "mite damage" on the leaf could be sunburn, acclimation stress, or a blurry photo. I was shocked at how fast everyone screamed "spider mite!," as I don't see how even an experienced grower could make such a sure diagnosis.
    In Noddy's defense, it's entirely the grower's business what he/she does about a problem. There's nothing wrong with giving advice, but if the grower chooses not to follow it that's their decision and they should not be ridiculed or patronized as a result.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    Well, can't argue with experience, but I don't think there's enough content in that picture to conclusively prove that it isn't just a baby spider.
    That's what I thought also. However, when I consider the source(s) and thought about it, I figured that it was likely they knew what they were talking about. It's one thing for me (who has grown plants for many years) to diagnose an issue and something else for these other guys to diagnose an issue. Their level of experience & knowledge is incredible. What I've seen is that people in the business can often see (& diagnose) a pest infestation from a distance that others would likely overlook until their plants were shriveled & close to death. Seeing something hundreds of times is different from seeing it a handful of times. I'm regularly amazed by how many times a noob (or sometimes - not a noob) has posted a pic with no idea they even had an issue and someone on the forum points out evidence of pests...

The specks in the foreground could certainly be mites, but they could also be dust, little bits of substrate, or pretty much anything else. The web could easily have been made by a baby spider. The "mite damage" on the leaf could be sunburn, acclimation stress, or a blurry photo. I was shocked at how fast everyone screamed "spider mite!," ...
    Not 'everyone' said this. One of the things I quickly learned when I joined the various forums is that not all advice is the same. Within the forums are tidbits from folks who have grown more Nepenthes (or VFTs or Sarrs or dews or ...) than I likely will ever see. Adjacent to those pieces of advice are others from folks who have been growing their 2 Neps for 4 months (& may be in the 7th grade). People like to give advice whether they have a clue or not & there are no warning signs stating how truly experienced the contributors are...

as I don't see how even an experienced grower could make such a sure diagnosis.
    Again - neither do I but I've learned that is all the more reason for me to listen & try to learn from what the experienced folks are seeing (which was all I stated in my post).

In Noddy's defense, it's entirely the grower's business what he/she does about a problem. There's nothing wrong with giving advice, but if the grower chooses not to follow it that's their decision and they should not be ridiculed or patronized as a result.
    Absolutely & completely true. I didn't see any posts in this thread where he was being "ridiculed or patronized". If that was how you (or he) interpreted my post - I apologize. That was not my intent...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all good RL . I did interpret your post a bit extremely, and maybe I overreacted. I just felt the need to stick up for Noddy a bit.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast