What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

00 Fly Trap Status achieved by the BRITISH!, Operation "Slient Move"

Our Top 00 Commander Spider, went in under cover of darkness, to ensure the mission was a success in capturing those wanted over them ememy lines.

Failure is not a option when coming to British tactics to completing the mission.

Our Top 00 Commander Spider risked his life to bring you the following of the G14 hanging low...

Use this information wisely!...

DSCF9421.jpg

All further information should be reported to M

:jester:

um..what? ???
those appear to be basically normal words..but they don't seem to be arranged in a pattern that
makes sense..

but the photo is cool! :jester:

Scot

Theme James Bond 007 British agent... I thought it was funny 00 status requires that this trap has a added extra trying to kill a fly, but I found it strang the spider lived...

So hence the reason for the comment thought I would make it a little more interesting that's all

Noddy

He's saying that the spider is an undercover agent and he just made it through the traps, the traps of the venus flytrap.

Huh? Looks like spider mites to me...???

I am thinking the same thing.

Those 00 spider mites are going to suck the life out of that VFT unless something is done to curb them.

HEY Halt you got it...

Pyro it's only on one trap, what does a spider mite look like... or was this just one normal spider that's very clever...

Noddy

See all them tiny little specks that look like dust all over the trap and on the webs? Those are the mites! Get a hand lense and you will see them clearly. If you watch long enough you will see them moving around.

If they are on one trap to that extent you can be sure they are elsewhere. They usually hang out on the leaf blade undersides, with the older leaves being more heavily infested than the younger, so be sure to examine the rest of your plants with your hand lense.

Are there any pesticides that I could use to take care of these and get locally, like at say Fred Meyer or Walmart? I'm hesitant to just try any old bug spray.

I love the drastic change of the thread.

I believe that neem oil and orthenex are pesticides that are safe for CPs.

I'll will inspect the trap closely however I did not see any though, I was not hunting for that red spider, I do have very very good eye sight so I am sure I'll see them if they are there!.

Noddy

I am quite puzzled as to why you are not seeing them in the photo, because I see dozens.... We are looking at the same photo, no?

I look forward to your report Mr. Bond

i do not see them as spider mites
quite often i see webs like this in between the lobes of my flytraps, belonging to newborn spiders
and as it is that time of the year
it is completely possible that what you are seeing is the abandoned web of a baby spider of some sorts
the white specs could easily be dust or just the sticky adhesive left from the spider
or the dried corpses of near-microscopic invertebrates.

Dude Noddy I got it the first time and i thought it was pretty funny. the more successfull pesticides Iv'e been told about are orthonex and neem oil. neem oil sounds like a less hardcore but healthier method to the orthene. do spider mites actually make webs though?

I dont think its spider mites..
I think its a "normal" spider..

those specks dont look like spider mites to me..looks like just specks of dust/dirt in the spider web..
and it doesnt look like spider mite webbing..
spider mite webs are usually much smaller and "finer" than that..
here are a few spider mite webbing pics:

http://www.inra.fr/hyppz/IMAGES/7033192.jpg

http://www.bonnieplants.com/Portals/0/articles/spidermitesweb_lg.jpg

If it is spider mites, you will know soon enough because it will spread to the whole plant,
and the small webs will be all over the plant, not just in the trap..

if its just one normal spider, the webbing will probably stay in that one trap, and not spread..
you should also be able to see the spider making the web, if he is still around..

personally, I wouldnt spray..if its just one spider, he will do no harm to the plant..

Scot

The orange specks in the foreground look like spider mites to me. Plus it looks like typical spider mite damage on the petiole/leaf base. See arrows and circled area:

Attachments

• vftm.jpg
    vftm.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 53
HI scottychaos I think your correct as there's a thread going to another leaf like a normal spider...

How drowning them.. does that work?

I could not see any other spiders on there...

Noddy

HI scottychaos I think your correct as there's a thread going to another leaf like a normal spider...

How drowning them.. does that work?

I could not see any other spiders on there...

Noddy

if its a normal spider, then dont worry about it..
it wont hurt your plant at all..

I never kill spiders..when I find one in the house I collect it in a jar and put it outside..
spiders and bats are our best friends..they eat HUGE amounts of bugs..

Spiders and CP's are on the same team! ;)
(of course, the CP's dont always know that, and sometimes eat their team mates..)

Scot

NaN he just recently moved his plant into the sun
its just from it being grown indoors, etiolation and poor conditions
now that its outside, it could be a light burn

Back