What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52's new home

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Less then one month in their new location.

Aug. 22, 2009:
b52_squad.jpg

and today, Sept. 22, 2009:
B52B0909.jpg

B52A0909.jpg

Let the sun shine in, this is the dawning of the age of Aquarius ;)
Av

Wow - those are stunning!
~Joe

Awsome colours!! I love that bright red!!

How do you prevent soil from splashing onto the plants? Whenever I leave my plants outside, the rain hits them and splashes soil all over the plants, making them look very dirty. Yours look so clean. What's the secret?

Amazing! I keep mine on a topmost shelf of my terrarium and even in California sun they don't color up like yours. Kudos to you.

Beautiful plants; great color! Thanks for sharing.

Amazing plants. AQUARIUS~ Let the sunshine~let the sun shine in, the sun shine in~ ^_^

Great color and awesome looking plants!

How do you prevent soil from splashing onto the plants? Whenever I leave my plants outside, the rain hits them and splashes soil all over the plants, making them look very dirty. Yours look so clean. What's the secret?

Thanks everyone,

The initial image was afternoon sun. The new images are full sun from dawn to dusk. You can see for yourself what color the extra photons provide.

There is full sun and then there is FULL sun.

Wolfm,

Mine get to looking dirty as well, but after a couple years there will be a nice carpet of moss and no more probs.

Biggest thing I learned early on was no perlite for outside mini bogs... now there is a mess after a rain.

However, there is a brand of perlite that has a higher density and doesnt float, but I cant find it locally.

Thanks for the kind words,
Av

Yes, a very colorful clone. Mine will routinely color up as Butch's do with just afternoon sun:
P9230065.jpg

Given enough light the traps will get a dark maroon inside and out. This one was grown under lights before I put it outdoors. I have not gotten the same depth of coloring since it only receives afternoon sun outdoors:
03570006.jpg

Hint: Try pumice instead of perlite. Pumice is less prone to float. However, pumice can be slightly alkaline. In a panel of growers at a BACPS meeting last year it was noted that perlite breaks down after a while. This will make the pH slightly less acidic. Dionaea appear to like more acidic conditions than many other species so quartz sand is a better choice as a peat moss additive.

Hint: Try pumice instead of perlite. Pumice is less prone to float. However, pumice can be slightly alkaline. In a panel of growers at a BACPS meeting last year it was noted that perlite breaks down after a while. This will make the pH slightly less acidic. Dionaea appear to like more acidic conditions than many other species so quartz sand is a better choice as a peat moss additive.
What about APS? I've only recently started using it in my mixes - but it's looking good so far (& when purchased as Infield Conditioner from a distributor - it's only ~$10/50lbs).

I have no idea but the manufacturers literature on the stuff says it is chemically neutral. If it breaks down or not I do not know.

Flytraps in new home

These are fabulous.The colors,the condition of the plants ,the clean look. How do you grow them like this ? I echo the one of the other postings ,I grow them outside and they never look like yours.
HELP

daddyo

What about APS? I've only recently started using it in my mixes - but it's looking good so far (& when purchased as Infield Conditioner from a distributor - it's only ~$10/50lbs).

Ron, FWIW... APS has completely replaced perlite in all my mixes.

Very nice pics NAN, I believe our plants share a common pedigree...
Hopefully, now that mine have their new home I will see color such as yours :hail:

Daddy-o, don't know what to tell ya... but mine also get "dirty" after a rain.
I used a peat/sand mix... good plants and lots of sun.
Nature has done the rest

cheers'
Av

Aquatic Plant Soil ;)

Yep I like the B52s that's on the hunt list!

Noddy

ooo lala !

Back