What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That's why they are called "Flytraps"

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Left to their own devices my Dionaea grown outdoors catch two or three insects per plant per growing season - flies, spiders, earwigs are standard fair. Once in a great while a crane fly or honey bee gets caught.

This 'Justina Davis' is an over-acheiver:
P9230066.jpg

P9230067.jpg

P9230068.jpg

P9230070.jpg

P9230069.jpg

Maybe the lack of red coloration is an advantage?

Maybe the lack of red coloration is an advantage?

I've always heard that the red on the flytraps attracts insects, similar to the reason why flowers are brightly colored.

My VFT is getting some great red coloration for only having sunlight as a factor, and I suspect it's because it's catching so much this year. Darn thing is growing like a weed.

Not a Number: My 'Justina Davis' does an excellent job with flies, wasps, and the occasional honeybee as well. It is the only flytrap who has ever caught 3-4 flies per trap that I have owned.

I have not noticed any difference in the number of insects caught between the all green varieties (Justina Davis and Grun) than the rest of my plants.

Back