User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When to bring in (First week in he sub-40s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to try with some junk plants to see how I get on in different places to see if some live or die..

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why you are even wanting to bring them in at all. The people at Sarracenia Northwest are in the north and you should look at their pictures - they have sarracenia and VFTs in the snow and in pots with frozen water. You shouldn't bring them inside at all. If you can't find the pics on their website, let me know and I can try to post them. I will have to first get them in my photobucket and then post them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    I don't know why you are even wanting to bring them in at all. The people at Sarracenia Northwest are in the north and you should look at their pictures - they have sarracenia and VFTs in the snow and in pots with frozen water. You shouldn't bring them inside at all. If you can't find the pics on their website, let me know and I can try to post them. I will have to first get them in my photobucket and then post them though.
    "In the North"?
    so because Sarracenia Nortwest and mcantrell are both "in the North" that means they have the same conditions?

oh you wacky southerners..you just dont understand winter!

"Sarracenia Northwest" is in Portland Oregon..Zone 8.
    our friend mcantrell is in Twin Falls, Idaho., Zone 5b -6a.

not even remotely close..

Thats the same difference between Mississippi and Chicago..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    oh you wacky southerners..you just dont understand winter!
    Not true! (but true for 99% of the south)

"Blizzard-like conditions are not unusual during most winters. Boone's winters are more similar to that of New England than the South. Boone typically receives on average nearly 40 inches of snowfall annually..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone,_...hy_and_climate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so because I'm in the south that means I've always lived here, and that I'm ignorant? Don't insult me. The poster is worried about temps in the 40s, not negative 0. Some mulching or special preparing certainly needs to be done when the weather is going to get below 20 and stay that way for extended periods, but these plants are a lot more hardy than people give them credit for if grown in the right conditions in the first place. If the plant is not healthy going into a dormant period it might not make it. But if it is grown right in the first place it will be fine with a little added mulching, or bring it inside during the worst of the weather, but I think that putting it in the refrigerator is a little extreme. Our winters don't stay in low temps for extended periods, but they get down into the single digits for sometimes up to a week at a time. I'm not an idiot. I've been doing this a long time. Certainly protect them in a blizzard or in dry freezing winds, but otherwise, they can handle conditions like in the pics below with no problem.

The reason I stand behind what these guys say is because they're right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post

From my grow log:

Update 4/15/09: New plants: Di. muscipula "Gold Strike", Di. muscipula "Red Pirahna", which was a gift plant from the store I got the Gold Strike from. The outside pitchers, except for the very large and overly healthy S. purpurea, appear dead. The small S. purpurea (My "undead plant") is inside as well, with the hope that it will recover. That means I had 1 survival out of 7 plants on the porch, and that one that survived only technically lived. The upcoming winter will require a serious rethink of my outside growing strategy.
    That one last plant died later under the grow lights. So of my plants I left outside on the porch, in 8 degree F weather, none of them lived.

Basically I have no way to winterize my plants effectively, or at least didn't last winter. This winter I figure I'd rather just put them in the fridge for the rest.. I'm in an apartment with very limited outside light (frankly, I should move everything inside, but I don't have grow lights capable of keeping my Drosera Filiformis 'Tracyi' or Sarras in.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Also: As an aside, those are really cool pictures. (Insert Rimshot Here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as Mcantrell, just wondering how long I should wait before bringing them in and 'fridge em. We have rain/snow mix today but maybe 60s tomorrow... up down, up down... Eventually it will be as cold as -30*F.
    My VFT look fine standing up, petioles firm, they've just closed their traps and haven't opened them in a couple weeks.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back2eight, take it with a grain of salt. Internet message boards can be rough I was amazed when I saw the pictures of Sarracenia NW (saw them in the E book). They have all kinds of frozen and snow covered plants, and they seem to pull through just fine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast