User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When to bring in (First week in he sub-40s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I posted on another thread about my overseas shipment from Borneo Exotics getting lost, found again, and then misdirected to a wrong address in another state. Finally it is on its way to me. The thread somehow got way off track into why am I buying overseas when there are plenty of US companies I could buy from. They kept naming wel-known retail businesses, and I couldn't seem to get the idea oif their head that I know about all those places - I'm buying wholesale. Stupid people aren't reading the whole thread and are just wanting to be argumentative for no reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just leave my sarrs, flytraps, and temperate Drosera out until I get low temps down into the twenties Fahrenheit for about a week straight. At this point I figure the plants are about as winterized as they will ever be, and then I bag some of them up for the fridge and haul the rest of them over to my parents garage. Seems to work quite well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    I don't know why you are even wanting to bring them in at all. The people at Sarracenia Northwest are in the north and you should look at their pictures - they have sarracenia and VFTs in the snow and in pots with frozen water. You shouldn't bring them inside at all. If you can't find the pics on their website, let me know and I can try to post them. I will have to first get them in my photobucket and then post them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    "In the North"?
    so because Sarracenia Nortwest and mcantrell are both "in the North" that means they have the same conditions?

oh you wacky southerners..you just dont understand winter!

"Sarracenia Northwest" is in Portland Oregon..Zone 8.
    our friend mcantrell is in Twin Falls, Idaho., Zone 5b -6a.

not even remotely close..

Thats the same difference between Mississippi and Chicago..

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    so because I'm in the south that means I've always lived here, and that I'm ignorant? Don't insult me.
    dude..it was a joke..lighten up.
    if you dont want to be insulted, (which you werent) then at least spend 2 seconds on google before posting useless advice..

not my fault you were wrong..
    im just helping the original poster by pointing out that what some nursery in Portland Oregon does has no bearing on what he should do in Idaho..sorry if you got all offended..but well..itwas lousy advice..
    thats just a fact..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, if I winterized them they'd be fine. ... Maybe. I have some foam pots now for them, which in theory will keep them safer, and could put them down on the ground (right now they're on a rack about 4 feet into the air) and close to the building... maybe dig a small pit for them and half bury the pots.

One problem is we don't get snow here, so the natural winterizing effect of a layer of snow doesn't happen.

Right after posting that (almost literally so) I discovered my callcenter is closing, and my job is toast. So the winterizing thing goes on TOP of moving in with new roommates in a smaller space and all that entails. Going to be a busy week or 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so update:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.cantrell/Plants

When to bring in (First week in he sub-40s)

They are on the porch next to the house. South facing, so they get full sun most of the day. They are frozen solid right now but should thaw out in a few hours. All except for the 3" pots are in insulated foam planters.

I was thinking of moving them into the garage. The color changes are worrying me. The garage gets to the mid 50s-60s during the day, however, I believe.

The 3" square pots I was thinking of moving back inside. The room stays 69-80F, however, I don't know if that will wake them up. I'd hate to lose those 2 baby Pitcher plants out there. And I sure as heck don't want to lose the Cobra Lily or VFT "Gold Strike". I think the Filiformis is already gone, but I have backups.

I do have a cheap little mini fridge, in an absolute emergency I could uproot them, put them in labeled baggies, and put them in the fridge for winter.

I guess my question at this point is -- will they live as it stands? If not, what should I be doing? Getting some mulch and bags?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frequent freezing and thawing can be bad. That is worst than sitting under an insulating blanket of snow. BTW, if you bring them inside, can you keep them against a window, or better yet, do you have a glass door going out to a balcony? If you put them on the floor, right next to a glass door, conditions may be quite cool (possibly much cooler than the rest of the apt.). If you keep them outside, you may want to put them in a more sheltered, protected area that won't get bright sun. Bright sun is a necessity when they are actively growing, but repeated heating and freezing in pots can kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can put them in the garage, but I fear they would do the same thing out there -- freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc. Perhaps not as bad. But, no sunlight at all.

The rest of the house is heated.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are really slowing down right now. San Antonio, TX and the lowest temperature we've had thus far has been 38. Very slow new growth.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast