What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First VFT seeds, success!

I got some seeds in early September and they arrived crushed. There was one whole seed, one cracked, and the rest were dust.

I got a second batch a week later.

With everything planted, I waited. 2 days after I planted the second batch the whole seed AND the cracked seed both germinated.

9 more days have gone by since then and I now have a total of 8 VFT seedlings. :) I'd provide a closer shot but my camera is pretty weak, sorry.

I wonder if I should remove the saran wrap I've had over them now, or not yet?

Here's the method I used (in case anyone's interested):
  • Pot/Soil/Water: 4" tall pot in tray with one inch distilled water (never let it drop below 1/2 inch). Soil mix 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and washed sand.
  • Pot is wrapped in saran wrap and secured with a rubber band; it's about a half-inch space between saran wrap and soil/seeds, creating a makeshift incubation chamber of sorts.
  • Light: 8750-lumen, 6500K, 125W compact fluorescent. 8" from the seeds. (link)
  • Poked 9 holes in the saran wrap, each about the size of uncooked white rice.
  • Misting: I take off the saran wrap and mist it about once every 3 days.
  • Fresh air: Off and on, I use a rigged computer fan to blow air over the holes to allow fresh air into the incubation chamber.
  • Temperature remains a steady 80-90 degrees above the pot per a wall-mounted temp gauge; closer to 80 with the fan on. But the combination of the moving air and the humidity lower the temperature further at the soil level.

Congratulations!

I left my saran wrap on for about 2 months.

Congrats on the sprouts :)

congrats, I always think the 1-2 year old seedlings look cool, they are so small but appear like adults.

I'm not sure about having them covered with the plastic. Seedlings can get hit by damping-off and other rots if they are kept too humid. But, hey whatever works.

Mine germinated fine without any bagging or saran wrapping-ing...

Back