I got some seeds in early September and they arrived crushed. There was one whole seed, one cracked, and the rest were dust.
I got a second batch a week later.
With everything planted, I waited. 2 days after I planted the second batch the whole seed AND the cracked seed both germinated.
9 more days have gone by since then and I now have a total of 8 VFT seedlings. I'd provide a closer shot but my camera is pretty weak, sorry.
I wonder if I should remove the saran wrap I've had over them now, or not yet?
Here's the method I used (in case anyone's interested):
- Pot/Soil/Water: 4" tall pot in tray with one inch distilled water (never let it drop below 1/2 inch). Soil mix 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and washed sand.
- Pot is wrapped in saran wrap and secured with a rubber band; it's about a half-inch space between saran wrap and soil/seeds, creating a makeshift incubation chamber of sorts.
- Light: 8750-lumen, 6500K, 125W compact fluorescent. 8" from the seeds. (link)
- Poked 9 holes in the saran wrap, each about the size of uncooked white rice.
- Misting: I take off the saran wrap and mist it about once every 3 days.
- Fresh air: Off and on, I use a rigged computer fan to blow air over the holes to allow fresh air into the incubation chamber.
- Temperature remains a steady 80-90 degrees above the pot per a wall-mounted temp gauge; closer to 80 with the fan on. But the combination of the moving air and the humidity lower the temperature further at the soil level.